At a distance of 300 meters from Pattadakal Bus Stand, Sangameshwara Temple situated between Galaganatha and Virupaksha temples inside the temple complex is the oldest temple in Pattadakal. It was commissioned by Chalukyan ruler Vijayaditya in the year 720 AD, but it seems the construction was never completed. Dedicated to Lord Shiva, this temple is similar to Virupaksha Temple in style but a smaller size.
The two tier Dravidian type sikhara is an experiment stared here which was implemented in ]temples of Virupaksha and Mallikarjuna and still being followed in South India. The temple has two entrances on north and south. The large rangamandapa with 20 pillars is partially ruined and there are two sub shrines for Mahishasura Mardhini & Ganesha. There is a ruined Nandi mandapa in front of the temple. The sanctum has a circular path for pradakshinas. There are few good sculptures on the outer wall like those of Ugranarasimha & Nataraja.
There are inscriptions on the temple walls with information on rulers who made contributions to the temple. The outer walls of the temple are adorned with images of Vishnu, Varaha, Shiva and other floral designs. The temple also has inscriptions dated 1162 AD, from the reign of Kalyani Chalukyas.
There 3rd / 4th century structure with brick pillars was excavated adjacent to Sangameshwara Temple in 1970.
Complex Timings: 9 AM to 5 PM
Entrance: Rs. 10, Rs. 25 for camera.