ALLEPPEY BACKWATER CRUISES
Lake / Backwaters
Distance (From Alappuzha Railway Station): 6 Kms
Visited From: Alappuzha Railway Station
Trip Duration (Including Travel): Half Day to Full Day
Transportation Options: Boat
Phone No: NA
Travel Tips: None
Alappuzha is a magnificent destination in Kerala with mix of Backwaters and Beach. Alappuzha, also known as Alleppey is situated on the shores of Arabian Sea close to the banks of Vembanad Lake. Alappuzha or Alleppey is among the most famous destination of backwaters in Kerala and also one of the top tourist places in Kerala.
Along with Kumarakom, Alappuzha is among the most famous destination of backwaters in kerala. A houseboat cruise in these backwaters is a delightful experience. It connects Kumarakom and Cochin to the North and Kollam to the South. The never-ending panorama of lush green paddy fields, towering coconut trees, shimmering water and long canals around Alappuzha make it a delightful destination.
It is popularly known as the 'Venice of the East'. Alleppey is also known for the annual Nehru Trophy Boat Race held in Punnamada Lake on the second Saturday of August every year. This is the most competitive and popular of the boat races in India. Kuttanad, known as 'the rice bowl of Kerala' is part of the Alappuzha district. Kuttanad is also popular as an ideal place for Kerala backwaters trip in a houseboat. Kuttanad is one of the very few places in the world where farming is done below the sea level.
There are different types of boat cruises available at Alleppey
- Eight hour backwater cruise from Alappuzha - Kollam starts from DTPC boat jetty at 10.30 AM. This trip covers Karumadikuttan Buddha idol, Kumarakody, Matha Amrithanandamayi Madom, Alumkadavu, and Kayamkulam Lake.
- Alappuzha - Kumarakom - Alappuzha is a 2 hour trip which starts from DTPC boat jetty at 11 AM.
- Alleppey - Alleppey is a 1 night cruise which starts at 12 noon through the Punnamada Lake.
- Alleppey - Alleppey Day Cruise is 5.30 hours trip which starts at 12 noon through the Punnamada Lake.
-Alleppey -Kumarakom / Kottayam cruise is a 1 day & 1 night trip.
- Alleppey - Alleppey 2 night cruise starts at 12 noon through the Punnamada Lake and it covers R-block & C block.
- Alleppey - Alleppey 3 night cruise starts cruising through the Punnamada Lake and it covers Pathiramanal Island, Kumarakam Bird Sanctuary, R-block, C-block, Ambalapuzha and Thottappally.
- Alleppey - Alleppey 4 night cruise starts cruising through the Punnamada Lake and it covers Pathiramanal Island, vichoor kayal, Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary, R-block, C-block, Amabalapuzha, Thottappally and Kumarakody.