Bhagawathy Temple - Chettikulangara
At a distance of 43 Kms from Alappuzha, Bhagavathi Temple in Chettikulangara is a 1200 years old temple believed to have been established by Lord Parashurama. This temple is the second highest revenue earner in Kerala, next to Sabarimala. It is situated near Mavelikara.
The presiding deity is Jagadambika of Chettikulangara, the Goddess of Oodanadu. This temple is now under the control of the Travancore Devasthanam Board. This temple was believed to have been consecrated by Padmapadacharyar (a leading disciple of Adi Shankara) in the year of 823 AD.
The one day annual festival is celebrated in a grand manner with rituals like Kuthiyottam and Kettukazcha. These colorful rituals have boys dancing in trance, colossal effigies of horses, decorated chariots and art forms like Patayani and Kolkkali. The temple has a giant multi-tiered stone lamp which can hold 1001 wicks.