Thousand Pillar Temple
At a distance of 6 Kms from Warangal Railway Station (in Hanmakonda part of the city), Thousand Pillar Temple is one of the finest examples of Kakatiya architecture.
Rudra Deva built this temple in 1163 AD in the style of star shaped Chalukyan temples and named after him as Sri Rudreshwara Swamy Temple, it is dedicated to Lord Shiva. Separate shires for Lord Surya & Lord Vishnu in the temple are connected to main shrine by a square mandap in the centre. A beautifully carved giant Nandi (bull) is seen on the platform connecting the shrines. The exterior wall of the temple, the ceiling slabs and the four central pillars of the mandap are decorated with finely carved sculptures. Poojas are still performed.
The actual thousand pillar hall situated behind Nandi in the temple complex is currently being renovated by the archelogical department and closed for visitors.
The temple is located between Warangal and Hanmakonda Chowrasta, close to main road.
Timings: 6 AM to 6 PM