Varasiddhi Vinayaka Temple
At a distance of 0.5 km from Kanipakam Bus Station, Varasiddhi Vinayaka Temple (Kanipakam Temple) is a famous and historical temple dedicated to Lord Vinayaka. This temple is a rare temple with a self-manifested idol of Lord Ganesha.
The temple was constructed in the 11th century by king Kulothunga Chola and later developed in 1336 by the rulers of Vijayanagara. Here the deity is placed in middle of a well where it's actually found. The striking and strange feature of this Swayambhu idol is that it is still growing in size. At present, we can see the knees and the abdomen of the idol. One of the devotees had offered a Kavacham (armor) to the Lord fifty years ago and today it is out of size and doesn't fit the idol. The holy water from the well is offered to the devotees as theertham.
According to a legend, there were three handicapped brothers, Dumb, Deaf and Blind. They were farmers and used to draw water for farming from a well nearby. One day the well got dried and they could no longer continue cultivation. One of them got into the well and started digging it up. He was shocked to see blood coming out of the well. Within in a few seconds the entire water turned red. All the three became normal getting rid of their disabilities. As soon as the villagers came to know about this miracle, they thronged to the well and tried to deepen the well further. They found swayambhu idol (the self-manifested) of Lord Vinayaka emerging from the waters.
The Annual Festival (Brahmotsavam) is conducted for 21 days starting on the Hindu festival of Vinayaka Chavithi (or Ganesh Chaturthi) that generally falls in the months of August/September. Nijaroopa darshanam (without armor and decoration) is offered during early morning poojas.
Timings: 4 AM to 9.30 PM