Lake / Backwaters
Kumarakom is the most enchanting backwater destination in Kerala. It is located on the banks of Vembanad Lake in the Kuttanad region of the Kottayam district. Vembanad Lake is one of the largest freshwater lakes in India. Also known as the Queen of Vembanad, Kumarakom is the most famous places for backwaters in Kerala.
The major sightseeing option at Kumarakom is a houseboat cruise in the backwaters of Vembanad. Among the must things to do in Kumarakom, Kumarakom backwater cruises are a unique experience that leaves memories for a lifetime. There are Country boats and Houseboats for the boat cruise experience.
A Houseboat cruise along the backwaters is really an amazing experience for every traveler as part of Kumarakom holiday packages. Excellent marine and freshwater fish including tasty karimeen, shrimp, and prawns are available in the area. Kumarakom is the venue for Sree Narayana Jayanthi Boat Race held in September during Onam festival. More than 1000 oarsmen in boats of different sizes and shapes will participate in this event.
There are different types of boat cruises available at Kumarakom
- Two hour trip in the Vembanad Lake covering the nearby villages
- Two hour trip between Kumarakom and Alleppey (including return)
- Three-hour Sunset Cruise between 4:30 to 7:30 PM
- Five-hour cruise covering R-block & Pathiramanal Islands
- Full day trip through canals of Kumarakom and/or Vembanad Lake
- Overnight cruise through traditional Houseboat
The backwater trips start from Boat Jetty in the Kumarakom village. The price of the backwater cruise varies from season to season. But negotiate hardly for a better price.