Lake / Backwaters
Kumarakom is the most enchanting backwater destination in Kerala. It is located on the banks of Vembanad Lake in the Kuttanad region of Kottayam district. Vembanad Lake is one of the largest fresh water lakes in India. Also known as the Queen of Vembanad, Kumarakom is the most famous kerala backwaters destination for traditional houseboat rides and it is among the most popular Kerala tourist places. The major sightseeing option at Kumarakom is houseboat cruise in backwaters of Vembanad.
Kumarakom backwater cruises are a unique experience which leaves memories for lifetime. There are Country boats and Houseboats for the boat cruise experience. A Houseboat cruise along the backwaters is really an amazing experience for every traveler to Kumarakom. Excellent marine and freshwater fish including tasty karimeen, shrimp, and prawns are available in the area. Kumarakom is the venue for Sree Narayana Jayanthi Boat Race held in September during Onam festival. More than 1000 oarsmen in boats of different sizes and shapes will participate in this event.
There are different types of boat cruises available at Kumarakom
- Two hour trip in the Vembanad Lake covering the nearby villages
- Two hour trip between Kumarakom and Alleppey (including return)
- Three hour Sunset Cruise between 4:30 to 7:30 PM
- Five hour cruise covering R-block & Pathiramanal Islands
- Full day trip through canals of Kumarakom and/or Vembanad Lake
- Overnight cruise through traditional Houseboat
The backwater trips start from Boat Jetty in the Kumarakom village. The price of backwater cruise varies from season to season. But negotiate hardly for a better price.