Kannagi / Mangaladevi Temple
Pilgrimage | Adventure / Trekking
#9 of 18 Places to Visit in Thekkady
Distance (From Thekkady): 13 Kms
Trip Duration (Including Travel): 2-3 Hours
Transportation Options: Cab / Walk/Trek
Travel Tips: This place can also be visited by 6-7 hours trekking program from Thekkady.
At a distance of 13 Kms from Kumily, Mangaladevi Temple (also known as Kannagi Temple) is 2000 years old ruined stone temple located in dense forest at the northern boundary of the Periyar Sanctuary. It is located at an altitude of 1337 meters.
Built in the traditional Kerala style of architecture, this temple is dedicated to Mangaladevi (or Kannagi), the principal character of the Tamil epic Sillapadhikaram. According to the epic, Mangaladevi burnt down Madurai after her husband was mistakenly accused of being a thief and killed.
This temple is open for public only on the full moon day of April-May (Chithra Purnami). Since it's located inside the Periyar Sanctuary, special permission is required to visit the place. Permissions can be obtained from Wildlife Warden, Thekkady.