At a distance of 24 km from Jhansi Junction, Barua Sagar is a town and a municipal board in Jhansi district of Uttar Pradesh. Many monuments, temples and forts adorn Barua Sagar which reminisces the ancient and the historical past.
The town got its name from the beautiful Barua Sagar Lake. Barua Sagar is an artificial lake built by the King of Orchha, Raja Udit Singh about 260 years ago. He also built embankments around this beautiful lake. The place is also famous for being the battleground of the Bundelas and the Marathas in 1744 AD. There is a temple dedicated to Sage Shringarishi on the banks of the lake. A fort, now in ruins, was also built by Raja Udit Singh on the banks of this lake. The fort commands an excellent view of Barua Sagar Lake and the surrounding landscapes.
There are ruins of two Chandela period temples, locally known as Ghughua Math and Jarai Ka Math. Ghughua Math is built in granite and has four cells, each fitted with doorways, of which three have an image of Ganesh and the fourth has an image of Durga. Jarai Ka Math is an east facing temple located in the outskirts of Barua Sagar Town, on Jhansi-Mauranipur road. The temple consists of a sanctum, antarala and a ruined mukha-mandapa.
Jarai Ka Math is probably one of the most popular temples in Barua Sagar that was built during the times of Pratiharas in 860 AD. Parts of the temple have been severely damaged and some have been rebuilt during the Bundelas in 17th Century. The intricate carvings on the exterior, the fine engravings of different forms of Goddess Durga are the main highlight of this temple architecture. This temple has been listed by the Archaeological Survey of India as a finest example of Pratihara architecture.