Kaleshwar Mahadev Temple / Regimental Temple
At a distance of 1.5 km from Lansdowne Market, Kaleshwar Mahadev Temple is an ancient temple situated in Lansdowne. This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is maintained by the army.
Kaleshwar Mahadev Temple is a major place of worship for the people of Lansdowne. Most of the people from the brave Garhwal regiment visit here to offer their prayers. Kaleshwar Mahadev temple has the Shivlinga which is Swayambhu (Self-formed). As per the legend, on a Mahashivratri day, locals found that their cows are missing and they later found them milking on their own in the cave upon a Shivlinga. People also believe that about 5000 years ago, Sage Kalun meditated here and this place was earlier known as Kaludanda after the Sage Kalun.
It is the oldest temple in Lansdowne and is believed to be 500 years old. When the Garhwal Rifles reached Lansdowne in 1887, the site only had the idol of Lord Shiva. In 1901, present structure of the temple was erected and a Dharamshala was built which is now maintained by the Garhwal Regiment.
The place is also famous for being the meditation sight for the sages. Samadhis of many sages have been built in the periphery of the temple.