11 BEST PILGRIMAGE SITES IN GOA

Photo Credit: Flickr

Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage

At a distance of 10 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand and 27 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station, St. Cajetan's Church stands opposite to the Se Cathedral in Old Goa. This place is part of UNESCO World Heritage Site (Churches & Convents of Goa).

The St. Cajetan Church has been constructed on the primary design of the Basilica of St. Peter in Rome. The Church of St. Cajetan is the only surviving domed church in Goa. The Church of St Cajetan was built by Italian friars of the Order of Theatines, who were sent by Pope Urban III to preach Christianity in the kingdom of Golconda. The friars were not permitted to work in Golconda so settled at Old Goa in 1640. The construction of the church began in 1655 and completed in 1661.The Church is named after the founder of the Theatine order, St. Cajetan. The main altar of the St Cajetan Church is dedicated to Our Lady of Divine Providence.

The St Cajetan Church is an example of Corinthian architecture while the interior is a blend of .....


Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage

At a distance of 9 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand and 27 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station, the famous Bom Jesus Basilica is part of UNESCO World Heritage Site (Churches & Convents of Goa). It is also called St. Francis Xavier's Tomb. It is one of the best Places to visit in Goa and one of the major heritage sites in Goa state. The church is often represented in promotion of Goa Tourism.

The Basilica of Bom Jesus is dedicated to St. Francis Xavier. The Construction of the church began in 1594 and completed in May 1605. The church is called 'Bom Jesus' meaning 'good Jesus' or 'infant Jesus'. This church is the first Minor Basilica in India and is regarded as one of the best examples of baroque architecture.

The imposing facade built out of black granite in an exquisite combination of the Doric, Corinthian and composite styles, is remarkable for its simplicity. It measures 183 ft in length, .....


Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage

At a distance of 9 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 27 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 23 km from Mapusa, The Chapel of St. Catherine is situated in Old Goa part of North Goa. This place is part of UNESCO World Heritage Site (Churches & Convents of Goa).

The Chapel of St. Catherine is located in the west of St. Francis of Assisi Church and is dedicated to St. Catherine. It was built by Alfanso De Albuquerque in 1510 when he defeated the local Muslim ruler Adil Shah on St. Catherine's Day that is 25th November 1510. In 1534 the chapel was granted cathedral status by Pope Paul III. It was enlarged in 1550 by the Portuguese Governor George Cabral and rebuilt in 1952 using laterite blocks.

The Chapel was built in Renaissance style architecture. The Chapel with a pale yellow exterior is built with laterite stones and plaster with lime mortar and has a tower on either side. The Chapel interior has only one altar which is plain. On one side of the Chapel is a stone inscription .....


Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage

At a distance of 9.2 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 27 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 22 km from Mapusa, St. Francis of Assisi Church is situated near the Se Cathedral in Old Goa. It is one of the prime tourist places to visit in Goa. This place is part of UNESCO World Heritage Site (Churches & Convents of Goa).

The Church of Saint Francis of Assisi is a Roman Catholic Church situated in the main square of Old Goa. The Church and Convent of St. Francis of Assisi were established by eight Portuguese Franciscan friars who landed in Goa in 1517. After their arrival in 1517 with their consistent efforts they constructed a small chapel with three altars and a choir. Eventually in the year 1521 the chapel was modified into a church and dedicated to the Holy Ghost in 1602. Later the church was pulled down and the present church was constructed on the same spot in 1616.

The west facing church has a nave with three chapels on both .....


Pilgrimage

At a distance of 32 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 27 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 5.7 km from Margao Railway Station, Holy Spirit Church is situated in Margao, South Goa.

The Holy Spirit Church was built on the site of the original Sri Damodar temple that was destroyed by the Portuguese and the deity was moved to Zambaulim. The Church of Holy Spirit was first built in 1564 by Jesuit missionaries who arrived in India mainly from Europe. It was the first church to be ever built in Margao but was destroyed during the Muslim invasion in 1571. It was then rebuilt in 1675.

The church is the best examples of the Indian Baroque style. The exterior of the church is brilliantly white washed with towers on both sides and a central dome structure. The interiors are finely carved from floor to ceilings. The altars dedicated to Immaculate Conception of Mary, St. Peter and St. Michael are heavily ornamented. The church also has a gorgeous pipe organ. The church can be entered .....


Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage

At a distance of 1.5 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand and 29 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station, The Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception is one of the famous churches in Goa.

The Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception is the first church and one of the oldest churches in Goa. It was built in 1541. Praca de Flores'' which means the ''Square of Flowers'' was added in 1843. The Panjim Church is placed on the hillside and just high above the Idalco Palace built by Adil Shah. Standing on the gallery of the church, you can see the entire view of the lovely Panjim city.

The interior of the church is simple. The church has a couple of altars. The main altar is dedicated to Mary Immaculate, on the left is Jesus crucified and to the right is Our Lady of the Rosary. Beautiful statues of St. Paul and St. Peter are seen beside the altars. The St. Xavier's Chapel is another attraction of the church.

The great bell at the Church of Mary Immaculate Conception .....


Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage

At a distance of 21 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 37 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 34 km from Mapusa, Shri Mangueshi Temple is situated in North Goa. It is of the must visit Goa tourist places and a major pilgrimage site of Goa state.

Shri Mangeshi temple is located on a hillock at Mangeshi Village in Priol, Ponda Taluka. Shri Mangeshi Temple is one of the largest, wealthiest and most popular Hindu shrines in Goa. Mythology says that Lord Shiva came to Goa after having lost everything in a game of dice against his wife Parvati. When Parvati came looking for him, he disguised himself as a tiger and frightened her. In a state of shock, Parvati uttered the words ''Trahi Mam Grisha'', which means ''O Lord of the Mountains, save me''. Shiva then reverted into his normal form and returned with her. The words, ''Mam Grisha'' came to be associated with this story and Shiva came to be known as 'Manguesh'. The place where this tale occurred .....


Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage

At a distance of 27 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 37 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 22 km from Margao Railway Station, Shri Mahalaxmi Temple is situated in North Goa. It is one of the most visited places in Goa and an important pilgrimage site for Hindus.

Shri Mahalaxmi Temple is situated in the village of Bandora or Bandivade about 4 km from Ponda. This Temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu's consort Mahalaxmi. The temple is considered as the abode of the original Goddess of the Shakti cult and its unique feature is that the Devi wears linga on her head. The idol of Mahalaxmi with four arms holding a sickle, a club, a dagger and a vessel containing Prasad and flowers, has a close resemblance to that of Mahalaxmi idol at Kolhapur. Besides the main black granite stone idol, there was another idol of the Devi made of panchloha. The Sabhamandap has a gallery of 18 images, out of 24 images of emanatory aspects of Bhagavata sect., it is one of the largest galleries of wooden .....


Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage

At a distance of 9 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 27 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 36 km from Margao Railway Station, The Church of Our Lady of Rosary is the oldest church situated in Old Goa. This place is part of UNESCO World Heritage Site (Churches & Convents of Goa).

The Church of Our Lady of Rosary is located atop the Monte Santo or the Holy Hill. The church stands on the site of Portuguese leader Alfonso de Albuquerque's victory over the armies of Bijapur Sultan in 1510. In fact the Lady of Rosary church is believed to be built by de Albuquerque as a sign of gratitude for his victory.

The church is an excellent example of Manueline style architecture of the early Portuguese. With windows near the roof and rounded towers, the church looks more like a fortress. The church has a two storied portico. It is built with laterite and plastered with lime mortar. The portico as well as the facade of the church has rounded towers on either side with the cross on .....


Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage

At a distance of 9 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 27 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 23 km from Mapusa, Se Cathedral is considered to be one of the largest churches in Asia, situated in Old Goa, opposite to Basilica of Bom Jesus. The beautiful Se Cathedral is one of the top places to visit in Goa. This place is part of UNESCO World Heritage Site (Churches & Convents of Goa).

The Se Cathedral is dedicated to St. Catherine. It is also known to be the oldest and the most celebrated religious buildings in Goa and has the prestige of being the seat of Archdiocese of Goa. According to history, Alfonso Albuquerque in 1510 defeated the Muslim army on the feast day of St. Catherine of Alexandria and took possession of Goa. The construction of this imposing church began in 1562 during the reign of King Dom Sebastiao and substantially completed by 1619. The main altars however were not finished until .....


Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage

At a distance of 28 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 34 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 20 km from Margao Railway Station, Shri Shantadurga Temple is situated in North Goa.

Shri Shantadurga Temple is a large temple located at the foothill of Kavlem village in Ponda Taluka. This temple is considered as one of the most important and the biggest temple in Goa. This temple is dedicated to Goddess Shantadurga the Goddess of Peace. The deity is also called 'Santeri' informally. According to the legend, a fierce battle was made between Shiva and Vishnu that Lord Brahma prayed to Parvati to intervene, which she did in the form of Shantadurga. Shantadurga placed Vishnu on her right hand and Shiva on her left hand and settled the fight. The deity of Shantadurga is shown as holding two serpents one in each hand representing Vishnu and Shiva. This avatar of Shree Jagdamba Devi which had come to make peace between Shree Vishnu and Shree Shiva came to be known as Shree Shantadurga Devi.

The .....

No Destinations found for the selected filters
Waiting

Please wait... the destinations are being loaded

Share:
RECOMMENDED CONTENT