Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage

At a distance of 9 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand and 27 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station, the famous Bom Jesus Basilica is part of UNESCO World Heritage Site (Churches & Convents of Goa). It is also called St. Francis Xavier's Tomb. It is one of the top attractions you must include in Goa packages and one of the major heritage sites in Goa state. The church is often represented in promotion of Goa Tourism.

The Basilica of Bom Jesus is dedicated to St. Francis Xavier. The Construction of the church began in 1594 and completed in May 1605. The church is called 'Bom Jesus' meaning 'good Jesus' or 'infant Jesus'. This church is the first Minor Basilica in India and is regarded as one of the best examples of baroque architecture.

The imposing facade built out of black granite in an exquisite combination of the Doric, Corinthian and composite styles, is remarkable for its simplicity. It measures 183 ft in length, 55 ft in breath and 61 ft in height. The main altar is 54 ft high and 30 ft broad. The interior of the church is built in Mosaic-Corinthian style. There are paintings of events from the life of St. Francis Xavier.

The Basilica of Bom Jesus enshrines the sacred remains of Goa's patron saint Francis Xavier, who died on a sea voyage to China in 1552. Legend says that when the body of Xavier was transferred to Goa the following year, the body was found as fresh as ...

Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 15 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 4 km from Candolim and 49 km from Margao Railway Station, the grand Fort of Aguada was constructed to prevent the entry of ships into the River Mandovi thus protecting old Goa from the attacks of Dutch and Marathas. Aguda Fort is one of the prime Goa tourist places and one of the major heritage sites in Goa state. Aguada Fort is one of the top attractions you must include in Goa packages.

The Aguada Fort was built by the Portuguese colonial rulers on the beach south of Candolim at the shore of the Mandovi River in 1612. A freshwater spring within the fort provided water supply to the ships that used to stop by. This is how the fort got its name 'Aguada' meaning Water. The heart of the fort was protected by two hundred cannons and a deep dry moat, which one still has to cross to get inside.

A central jail and a lighthouse built during the 19th century are also located near this fort. This is presently serving as the Central Jail. Aguada Fort boasts of the first ever light house in Asia. Equipped with ammunition rooms and barracks, Fort Aguada was the first line of defense as far the Portuguese control over the region of Goa was concerned. This lighthouse was home to a gigantic bell that was retrieved from amongst the ruins of the St. Augustine Tower at Old Goa. However, the bell has now been moved to the Our Lady of Immaculate ...

Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage

At a distance of 21 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 37 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 34 km from Mapusa, Shri Mangueshi Temple is situated in North Goa. It is of the must visit Goa tourist places and a major pilgrimage site of Goa state.

Shri Mangeshi temple is located on a hillock at Mangeshi Village in Priol, Ponda Taluka. Shri Mangeshi Temple is one of the largest, wealthiest and most popular Hindu shrines in Goa. Mythology says that Lord Shiva came to Goa after having lost everything in a game of dice against his wife Parvati. When Parvati came looking for him, he disguised himself as a tiger and frightened her. In a state of shock, Parvati uttered the words ''Trahi Mam Grisha'', which means ''O Lord of the Mountains, save me''. Shiva then reverted into his normal form and returned with her. The words, ''Mam Grisha'' came to be associated with this story and Shiva came to be known as 'Manguesh'. The place where this tale occurred was marked by building a temple at the site. This location is to the south of the Zuari River where the present day village of Cortalim stands.

When Salcete was captured by the Portuguese in 1543, the devotees shifted the deity from Cortalim to a nearby village that came to be known as Mangeshi. The temple which is believed to be built around 1744 has been rebuilt and has undergone several renovations. It was built with income from land donated by a local ruler under the Marathas.

This ...

Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage

At a distance of 9 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 27 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 23 km from Mapusa, Se Cathedral is considered to be one of the largest churches in Asia, situated in Old Goa, opposite to Basilica of Bom Jesus. The beautiful Se Cathedral is one of the top places to visit in Goa. This place is part of UNESCO World Heritage Site (Churches & Convents of Goa).

The Se Cathedral is dedicated to St. Catherine. It is also known to be the oldest and the most celebrated religious buildings in Goa and has the prestige of being the seat of Archdiocese of Goa. According to history, Alfonso Albuquerque in 1510 defeated the Muslim army on the feast day of St. Catherine of Alexandria and took possession of Goa. The construction of this imposing church began in 1562 during the reign of King Dom Sebastiao and substantially completed by 1619. The main altars however were not finished until the year 1652. It was consecrated in 1640. This 16th century monument took 80 long years to complete. It is also called St. Catherine's Cathedral.

The Se Cathedral is built in the Portuguese-Gothic style. The exterior of the church is Tuscan while the interior is Corinthian. The church is 250 ft in length and 181 ft in breath and 115 ft in height. The main attractions of the Cathedral are the 15 altars, which are dedicated to Our Lady of Three Needs, Our Lady of Anguish or Our Lady of Hope. ...

Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 7 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 34 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 15 km from Mapusa, Reis Magos Fort is located on the northern bank of the River Mandovi across to the city of Panaji in North Goa. This Fort is one of the prime Goa Tourist Places and one of the major heritage sites in Goa state.

This Fort was built by the Portuguese Viceroy Alfonso de Noronha in 1551 and was rebuilt in 1707. It was played an important role in the defense of Goa in 1739 against the Marathas. Originally it was an armed outpost built by the Adil Shah in the late 1400 and got destroyed in 1500. In the beginning the Portuguese used this Fort as a shelter for the viceroys and dignitaries who arrived from Lisbon. But gradually Portuguese realized the strategic importance of this Fort and used it to ward off Maratha armies.

This Fort is quite small compared to other forts in Goa. It was used as a residence for viceroys and later converted to a fortress. It was occupied briefly between 1798-1813 by the British Army. It was subsequently abandoned by the military and served as a prison until 1993. The Fort is currently undergoing a restoration by the archeological survey of India.

This Reis Magos Fort was constructed using laterite and is located on a hill that can be accessed through a ramp or a narrow staircase. From the Fort one can obtain a beautiful view of the River Mandovi. ...

Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 19 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 46 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 11 km from Mapusa, The Chapora Fort is situated in North Goa. It is one of the top tourist places in Goa.

Built in red laterite stones, the fort has steep slopes on all the sides and stands on an area which has irregular outer plan. This massive fort was constructed by the king of Bijapur, Adil Shah. This is one reason why it has been named Shahpura, which means the 'town of Shah'. The Chapora Fort is one of the prime attractions on Goa.

The fort was built in order to keep a watch on Hindu raiders who wanted to set up their territory in Goa. The fort was destroyed after the rule of Adil Shah and was rebuilt by the Portuguese in 1617, on the site of an earlier Muslim structure. The Portuguese troops surrendered to the Maratha ruler Sambhaji in 1684 but the locals were not too pleased with this situation and hence Marathas were forced to withdraw their forces from the fort in 1717. Portuguese took over it again and rebuilt the fort until they finally abandoned it 1892.
Today the Chapora Fort lies in ruins and although one can see the heads of the two tunnels to aid in escaping in case of an emergency. The massive ramparts and scattered Muslim tombstones are all that is left of this fort. The fort gives a spectacular view of the Vagator and the Anjuna beach.

There are no particular visiting hours to visit this fort, however ...

Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage

At a distance of 28 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 34 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 20 km from Margao Railway Station, Shri Shantadurga Temple is situated in North Goa.

Shri Shantadurga Temple is a large temple located at the foothill of Kavlem village in Ponda Taluka. This temple is considered as one of the most important and the biggest temple in Goa. This temple is dedicated to Goddess Shantadurga the Goddess of Peace. The deity is also called 'Santeri' informally. According to the legend, a fierce battle was made between Shiva and Vishnu that Lord Brahma prayed to Parvati to intervene, which she did in the form of Shantadurga. Shantadurga placed Vishnu on her right hand and Shiva on her left hand and settled the fight. The deity of Shantadurga is shown as holding two serpents one in each hand representing Vishnu and Shiva. This avatar of Shree Jagdamba Devi which had come to make peace between Shree Vishnu and Shree Shiva came to be known as Shree Shantadurga Devi.

The temple was initially located at Cavelossim but when it was being destroyed by the Portuguese in 1564, the deity was shifted to Kavlem. A small laterite mud shrine was built and the deity was installed here. The mud-shrine was converted into a beautiful temple whose foundation stone was laid in 1730 during the reign of Maratha ruler Shahu Raje of Satara at the request of Naro Ram Mantri, one of his ministers. The temple was completed in 1738 and renovated in 1966.

The temple ...

Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 8 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 27 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 23 km from Mapusa, Church and Monastery of Augustin is situated in Old Goa. It is one of the prime Goa tourist places. This place is part of UNESCO World Heritage Site (Churches & Convents of Goa).

The Church and Monastery of St Augustine were built in 1572 by 12 Augustines when they arrived in the city of Goa. The construction of the church was completed in 1602 AD. They also built a convent besides the church. A ban was imposed by the Portuguese government against the Augustines. The church and the convent thereafter were deserted.

The ruins of 46 m high Bell Tower without the bell can be seen from some distance and attract visitors. The four storied arched belfry tower built of laterite of the church facing east. This tower is one of the four towers of St. Augustine Church. The Church had eight richly adorned chapels and four altars and a convent with numerous cells. The ruins of these can be seen even today around the tower. The bell was first placed in the Fort Aguada Light House, where it remained from 1841 to 1871 AD. Finally it was put in the church of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception at Panaji in 1871 AD and it is still in working condition.

The ruins of St. Augustine Church also known as Nossa Senhora da Graca Church are a very popular tourist attraction and one of the most spectacular monuments in Goa. The St. ...

Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage

At a distance of 27 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 37 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 22 km from Margao Railway Station, Shri Mahalaxmi Temple is situated in North Goa. It is one of the most visited places in Goa and an important pilgrimage site for Hindus.

Shri Mahalaxmi Temple is situated in the village of Bandora or Bandivade about 4 km from Ponda. This Temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu's consort Mahalaxmi. The temple is considered as the abode of the original Goddess of the Shakti cult and its unique feature is that the Devi wears linga on her head. The idol of Mahalaxmi with four arms holding a sickle, a club, a dagger and a vessel containing Prasad and flowers, has a close resemblance to that of Mahalaxmi idol at Kolhapur. Besides the main black granite stone idol, there was another idol of the Devi made of panchloha. The Sabhamandap has a gallery of 18 images, out of 24 images of emanatory aspects of Bhagavata sect., it is one of the largest galleries of wooden Images of Vishnu in India.

The Goddess Mahalaxmi was worshipped by the Shilahara rulers and the early Kadamba Kings of Goa. The temple was originally in the village of Kolambe near present day Colva beach. When the Portuguese destroyed it, devotees smuggled the murti of Mahalakshmi first to the town of Talaulim where it resided in the home of a priest. It was then moved to its present location in Bandivade in Ponda where a small temple was established in 1866. Upgrades and expansions have ...

Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 60 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 56 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 27 km from Margao Railway Station, The Cabo De Rama Fort is situated in South Goa. This is one of the prime attractions in South Goa and also an ideal Goa sightseeing options.

Cabo de Rama Fort is also known as The Cape of Rama. The fort derives its name from Rama, the hero of the epic Ramayana stayed here with his wife during their 14 years of exile. The Fort was first occupied by Hindu rulers who spread their empire all over India. The cape is crowned by a fort which was originally a Hindu structure and rebuilt by the Portuguese in 1763 after acquiring it from the Maratha King of Sonda. The Fort has elaborated defenses complete with a moat, gatehouse and several bastions. Many of the bastions still have large cannons lying strewn above them. The fort has a well and two springs from which cold and hot water used to emerge from two different nozzles. The Fort also houses a large water tank with stone steps descending into it. Also within the Fort are ruins of buildings that may have been used are quarters for the troops stationed at the fort.

This Fort was invaded by many armies at different periods of time and has witnessed numerous battles particularly naval ones. It was used as a prison till 1955 after it was taken over by the British from 1792 to 1813. The main entrance has been restored and yellow washed but the fort now lies ...

Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 33 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand and 4 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station, Mormugao Fort is located just south of Mormugao Port in South Goa.

The Mormugao Fort was essentially built by the Portuguese in 1624 to protect the harbor, territorial waters in and around the Port of Margao. The Mormugao Fort is a tough fortification jutting out far into the sea with a magnificent lookout for invaders and attackers. The Maratha warriors continued to attack the town and the Fort and finally the Portuguese gave up the township in preference for Old Goa.

Mormugao Fort was considered as one of the most important coastal forts of Goa. Primarily, Mormugao was generalized to be the capital of the Portuguese empire, hence the Fort was erected and in 1703 the viceroy moved into the town. Mormugao Fort is closer to Varca beach.

The Mormugao Fort is about 10 km in circumference and boasts of possessing some ancient articles like 20 bulwarks, three magazines, five prisons, a chapel and quarters for the guards. There were two beautiful fountains. The Fonte de Malabar kept the royal arms and was said to bob up from a gold mine and the Fonte de Santo Ignacio which had a more modest beginning in a sulphur mine. Today Mormugao Fort offers exquisite views of the seascape with only the chapel and a segment of the boundary wall standing testimony to its glorious past.
The inscriptions over the gates of the Fort are the centre of attraction and tourists come ...

Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage

At a distance of 9.2 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 27 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 22 km from Mapusa, St. Francis of Assisi Church is situated near the Se Cathedral in Old Goa. It is one of the prime tourist places to visit in Goa. This place is part of UNESCO World Heritage Site (Churches & Convents of Goa).

The Church of Saint Francis of Assisi is a Roman Catholic Church situated in the main square of Old Goa. The Church and Convent of St. Francis of Assisi were established by eight Portuguese Franciscan friars who landed in Goa in 1517. After their arrival in 1517 with their consistent efforts they constructed a small chapel with three altars and a choir. Eventually in the year 1521 the chapel was modified into a church and dedicated to the Holy Ghost in 1602. Later the church was pulled down and the present church was constructed on the same spot in 1616.

The west facing church has a nave with three chapels on both side, a choir on the first floor, a main altar and two other altars. Belfry and a sacristy are on the north of main altar, today which you see the house of Archaeological Museum was actually a convent forming annexure to the church.

The exterior of the Church is of the Tuscan order while the main entrance is in Manuline style. The main altar is Baroque with Corinthian features. There are no aisles but only a nave, which is rib-vaulted. The internal buttress walls separating the chapels ...

No Destinations found for the selected filters

Top 5 Goa Tour Packages

Most Popular Tourist Places in Goa


Popular Tour Packages in Goa

Popular Tour Packages near Pune