Chhatris Of Scindia Dynasty
At a distance of 5 km from Gwalior Junction and 6 km from Gwalior Fort, the Chhatris are the memorial of Scindia dynasty rulers of Gwalior. Situated in Chhatri Bazar, the Chhattris of the Scindia dynasty are one among the prominent attractions in Gwalior city.
Renowned for its architectural brilliance and beautiful structures, the Chhatris are located in a beautiful garden. These are elevated, dome-shaped pavilions used as an element in Indian architecture. The first chhatri was built in 1817 CE to commemorate Jayaji Rao Scindia. Since then other Chhatris have been added. The older ones are built in yellow and pink sandstone and are of great architectural value.
Apart from others, the Chhatris of Jiwaji Rao Scindia, Daulat Rao Scindia and Janko ji Rao Scindia are well known. These Chhatris preserve the beauty of the medieval period and are decorated with stone carvings of elephants, horses and tigers. These monuments have been built with pink and white stones. There is a large beautiful tank between the umbrellas of Madhav Rao Scindia and Maharani Shakya Raje Scindia.
Timings: 9 AM - 5 PM