At a distance of 4 Kms from Ooty Bus Station & Railway Station (1 Km from Botanical Garden), Government House (Raj Bhavan) is built in 1877 by the Duke of Buckingham when he was the Governor of Madras.
Built in an area of 87 acres, this cream-coloured mansion, overlooking the Botanical Gardens stands a silent reminder of the grandeur that it had seen in the days of the Raj. It was visited by the Governors of Madras during summar to escape from the hot sultry weather of Madras.
A ballroom was added by Sir Arthur Havelock in 1900. The entire building was electrified in 1904.