Bagnath Temple - Bageshwar
At a distance of 38 km from Kausani and 21 km from Baijnath Temple, Bagnath Temple is an ancient temple situated in the town of Bageshwar at the confluence of Sarayu and Gomti Rivers. It is one of the famous pilgrimage places in Uttarakhand and also one of the prime places to visit in Kausani.
The Bagnath temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva. Some sources state that the existence of Bagnath temple since 7th Century and the present building in nagara style was built in 1450 AD by Chand ruler, Laxmi Chand. The various statues in the temple date back from 7th century AD to 16th century AD.
The town Bageshwar has derived its name from the temple of Lord Shiva. According to legend, Bagnath temple is the place where Sage Markandeya worshipped Lord Shiva. Pleased with his prayers Lord Shiva manifested in Tiger avatar and blessed Markandeya. The significance of the temple finds mention in the Skanda Purana.
Every year in the memory of the sage being visited by the god, a fair is held in the Hindu calendar month of Shravan and is thronged by thousands of people who come to take a dip in the holy waters.
Timings: 6 AM to 6 PM