Pilgrimage | City
At a distance of 1 km from Tirupati Railway Station & 22 km from Tirumala Tirupati Balaji Temple, Sri Govindaraja Swami Temple is one of the important temples in Tirupati, located in the heart of the city. It is one of the best places to visit in Tirupati city.
The original temple had Sri Parthasarathi as the main deity. Sri Ramanuja added the Sri Govindaraja deity in 1130 AD. Yadavaraya Dynasty made several gifts for decoration of the chariot and carrying necessary repairs of the temple. The temple came in for greater importance in 1506 AD during the rule of Vijayanagara Dynasty and from then onwards different rulers in a different way developed the temple.
This famous temple in Tirupathi is a remarkable achievement of the ancient south Indian architecture. It has an impressive outer gopura and an inner gopura. The inner most gopura is the earliest one, dating from the 14th century and has carvings that depict scenes from Ramayana and Lord Krishna's life. The temple has two .....
Pilgrimage | Waterfall
At a distance of 4 km from Tirupati Railway Station & 25 km from Tirumala Tirupati Temple of Lord Venkateswara, Kapila Theertham is a famous waterfall situated inside Kapileswara Swamy Temple at the foot of Sheshadri Hills in Tirupati. This is a unique waterfall where the water of mountain streams drop from a height of over 100 feet into a large pond in the temple premises. It is one of the must visit tourist places in Tirupati and a major pilgrimage site in Tirupati city.
Kapila Theertham temple is the only Shiva temple in the vicinity of Tirupati. It is also said to be one of the 108 sacred teerthas (springs) on Tirumala hills. The Siva lingam here is made of brass. A huge stone statue of a seated bull Nandhi, greets devotees at the entrance to the temple.
According to legend, Saint Kapila Maharishi was said to have lived here, worshipped and meditated in the cave in front of the .....
At a distance of 5 km from Tirupati Railway Station & 27 km from Tirumala Tirupati Balaji Temple, Tiruchanur also called as Alimelumangapuram is famous for Alimelu Manga Temple dedicated to goddess Padmavati, the consort of Lord Venkateswara. It is believed that pilgrimage to Tirumala is incomplete without a visit to Sri Padmavati Ammavari Temple at Tiruchanur.
According to ancient scripts, as Lord Venkateswara Temple at Tirumala was not easily accessible, a new temple called Tiruvalan Koil was constructed at Tiruchanur near Tirupathi to house Lord Venkateswara in 8th century by Pallavas. The temple was later dedicated to Padmavati Devi by Yadava Rayas in 12th century.
According to the legend, Lord Vishnu showed his reverence towards the sage Bhrigu, even though the sage had insulted Vishnu. In anger, Sri Maha Lakshmi immersed herself for 12 years here in pushkarini the banks of Swarnamukhi River and emerged from it in a Golden .....
At a distance of 12 km from Tirupati, 3 km from Chandragiri & 29 km from Tirumala Tirupati Temple of Lord Venkateswara, Srinivasa Mangapuram is famous for Sri Kalyana Venkateswara Swami Temple. This is one of the important temples near Tirupati town and is located towards Chandragiri town. It is one of the must visit Tirupati Temples
The ancient temple at this site was discovered by some devotees in 1540 CE. The present form of the temple came into existence by the relentless efforts of Chinna Thirumalaiyya, the grandson of Annamacharya. According to legend, Lord Venkateswara stayed here after his marriage with Sri Padmavati Devi. Once the marriage ceremony got over, Venkateswara paid a visit to the holy ashram of sage Agasthya located near the banks of the river Swarnamukhi in Chandragiri Hills. It is believed that sage Agasthya requested them to stay in his ashram for six months. Later, the location where the Lord stayed with his bride became a holy shrine and acquired the name, .....
Historical & Heritage
At a distance of 15 km from Tirupati, 33 km from Tirumala Tirupati Balaji Temple, 147 km from Chennai, 238 km from Bangalore & 574 km from Hyderabad, Chandragiri is an ancient town and the seat of Yadavaraya Kings from 11th to 13th centuries and fourth capital of Vijayanagar Dynasty. Chandragiri along with Tirupati is one of the ideal Chennai weekend getaways and a major heritage / historical site in Andhra Pradesh. It is one of the prime Tourist places in Tirupati town.
Chandragiri near Tirupati is famous for the historical fort, built in the 11th century. Chandragiri was under the rule of Yadavaraya Dynasty for about three centuries and came into control of Vijayanagar rulers in 1367. It came into prominence during Saluva Narasimha Rayalu. Chandragiri was the 4th capital of Vijayanagar Empire .....
At a distance of 0.5 km from Kanipakam Bus Station, Varasiddhi Vinayaka Temple (Kanipakam Temple) is a famous and historical temple dedicated to Lord Vinayaka. This temple is a rare temple with a self-manifested idol of Lord Ganesha.
The temple was constructed in the 11th century by king Kulothunga Chola and later developed in 1336 by the rulers of Vijayanagara. Here the deity is placed in middle of a well where it's actually found. The striking and strange feature of this Swayambhu idol is that it is still growing in size. At present, we can see the knees and the abdomen of the idol. One of the devotees had offered a Kavacham (armor) to the Lord fifty years ago and today it is out of size and doesn't fit the idol. The holy water from the well is offered to the devotees as theertham.
According to a legend, there were three handicapped brothers, Dumb, Deaf and Blind. They were farmers and used to draw water for farming from a well .....
At a distance of 1 Kms from Kanipakam Bus Station, Varadaraja Swamy temple is located near the main Varasiddi Vinayaka Temple (Kanipakam Temple).
It is belived that, if newly married couples perform Satyanaraya Vrata at this temple, their married life will be ever lasting happily and prosporously.
Historical & Heritage
At a distance of 1.5 km from Vellore Town Railway Station, Vellore Fort is the 16th century granite fort surrounded by a deep moat set in the heart of the town. It was built by Bommi and Thimma Reddy in the 16th century during the reign of the Vijayanagar king Krishnadeva Raya. The fort was captured in the 17th century by the Adil Shahis, the Muslim rulers from Bijapur. It was then taken by the Marathas, and later by Daud Khan of Delhi in the early 18th century. The British took control of this fort in 1768 and controlled it until Independence. During British rule, the Tipu Sultan's family and the last king of Sri Lanka, Vikrama Rajasinha were held in as prisoners in the fort. The fort is an excellent example of military architecture and has withstood several attacks.
The Vellore Fort was constructed with granite from the nearby quarries in Arcot and Chittor districts. It spreads over an area of 133 acres. It has huge double walls .....
Please wait... the places of interest are being loaded