Kalpathy Vishwanatha Swamy Temple
At a distance of 3 Kms from Palakkad Railway Station, the Kalpathy Vishwanatha Swamy Temple is the oldest Shiva temple in this region.
Situated on the banks of Kalpathy River, the temple was built around 1425 AD by Kombi Achan, the raja of Palakkad. Legend has it that a Brahmin widow named Lakshmiammal went to Banaras and brought Lingam and installed in the present site. The location of the temple and steps leading to the river brings mind of a visitor the Banaras Temples on the bank of Ganges. Hence this temple is called Half Banaras.
The annual chariot festival is a popular event celebrated for 7 days in the month of November. On the last 3 days, beautifully decorated temple chariots are ceremoniously drawn through the streets by thousands of devotees. The festival is dominated by three magnificent chariots, bedecked with flowers and flags, each sanctified by the presence of the Lord.
Timings: 5:30 AM to 8 PM.