Silent Valley National Park
#3 of 23 Places to Visit in Palakkad
Distance (From Palakkad): 53 Kms
Trip Duration (Including Travel): Full Day
Transportation Options: Bus / Cab
Travel Tips: 1. Own vehicles are also allowed into the park with Rs. 100 entrance fee
2. Vehicles are allowed into the park only till 1 PM (should exit the park by 5 PM)
3. Tourists can trek from Mukkali to Sairandhri (23 Kms) - 5 hrs trek
4. It is mandatory to hire a guide to enter the park
5. Tourism is not encouraged in the park in the fearing of damage to the wildlife
6. Accommodation is available at Mukkali & Sairandhri (Ph: 04924-222056 & 04924-253225)
At a distance of 53 km from Palakkad, 40 km from Mannarkad & 102 km from Coimbatore, Silent Valley National Park is an evergreen rain forest located in the Kundali Hills of the Western Ghats.
Spread across 90 sq. kms, it is one of the smallest national parks in India and the only rain forest in India. This altitude of the park varies between 658 to 2383 meters. The park provides shelter for variety of species including elephants, tigers, leopards, wild boar, sambhar, gaur and the endangered lion-tailed macaque. The park is also heaven for bird watchers and trekkers.
The park is divided into 4 parts, Nilikkal, Sairandhri, Poochipara & Walakkad and only Sairandhri is open for tourists. Mukkali (on Mannarkad-Anaikatti-Coimbatore road) is the entry point to the park where private Jeeps are found to get into the park (guides are also available here). Vehicles are allowed till Sairandhri watchtower (23 Kms from Mukkali). Visitors can trek to Kunthi River from watchtower (1.5 Kms).
Timings: 8 AM - 5 PM