Tipu's Fort / Palakkad Fort
At a distance of 2 Kms from Palakkad Railway Station, Tippu's Fort is one of the best preserved forts in Kerala built by Haider Ali in 1766.
The fort was taken over and renovated by British in 1790. The fort is protected by Archeological Survey of India. Even today, the tough walls of the fort speak volumes about the stories of Tipu Sultan. The fort is square in shape, with massive walls and strong bastions in all four corners and in the middle. The entrance was through a draw bridge which was later replaced by a permanent one. The spacious ground surrounding the fort is known as Kota Maidanam. It had once served as a stable for the elephants and horses of Tipu's Forts and now a place for public meetings, circus. A sub-jail and a martyr's column are also located within the fort premises.
The fort houses an open air auditorium, called Rappadi, Hanuman Temple and a children's park (Nehru Park).
Timings: 10 AM to 5 PM.