Historical & Heritage
At a distance of 34 km from Ranikhet & 77 km from Almora, Dwarahat is an ancient town situated in Almora district of Uttarakhand. It is famous for its ancient temples which were constructed mainly by the Katyuri kings and are maintained by ASI.
Dwarahat, which means Way to Heaven, was once the principal seat of the Katyuri kings whose empire was stretched from the Sutlez River in the west to river Gandak in the east, and from the Himalayas to the plains, including the whole of Rohelkhand. Later it came under the rule of the Chand Rajas of Kumaon in the sixteenth century.
Dwarahat has 55 ancient temples of exquisite architectural excellence, divided into 8 groups. Some temples now have great archaeological value. These were constructed in the Indo-Aryan, Maru-Pratihara or Nagara type. The temples are constructed mainly of masonry blocks of Pre-Cambrian granite available in the nearby area. Instead of mortar, iron clamps and dowels have been used to tie adjoining blocks.
Badrinath Group of Temples has three temples, of which the main temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu, worshiped as Badrinath. Constructed in Sikhara style facing east, it consists of garbhagriha, antrala and mandapa. The black stone image of Vishnu is placed in the sanctum. The temple bears an inscription of samvat 1105, suggesting the date of the construction of the temple as 1048 AD. There are two more miniature shrines in the group; one ...
Historical & Heritage
At a distance of 20 km from Almora and 30 km from Ranikhet, Katarmal Sun Temple is an ancient Hindu temple situated at Katarmal village in Almora district of Uttarakhand.
Katarmal Temple is dedicated to Lord Burhadita or Vriddhaditya (the old Sun God) and is one of the famous historical places of Kumaon hills in Uttarakhand. The present image of Surya in the temple dates back to 12th century. Built in the 9th century by Katarmalla, a Katyuri king, this temple is perched at an altitude of 2116 m.
The Sun Temple is noted for its magnificent architecture and is a monument of historical importance. The temple complex has one main temple surrounded by 45 smaller exquisitely carved temples. The idols of Shiva-Parvati and Lakshmi-Narayana can also be spotted in this temple. The building faces the east in a way such that the first rays of the sun fall on the Shiva Lingam. Stone-built walls, intricate figures, beautiful pillar carvings and exquisitely cut out wooden doors are among the distinctive features of this temple.
The carved wooden doors and panels were transported to the National Museum, Delhi, after the original idol of presiding deity was stolen in the 10th century. The temple, which holds other carvings on walls and panels, was declared a monument of national importance.
Though the temple is in a decaying state, it is visited by many devotees who come here to offer prayer to the Sun God. There is no ...
Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage
At a distance of 17 km from Kausani and 21 km from Bageshwar, Baijnath is a small ancient town situated on the banks of the Gomti River in Bageshwar district of Uttarakhand, India. Baijnath is most noted for its ancient temples and is one of the top places to visit in Kausani.
Once known as Kartikyapura, Baijnath was the capital of the Katyuri kings who ruled Uttaranchal during 12th and 13th centuries AD. Baijnath is famous for Baijnath Temple which is devoted to Lord Shiva. Baijnath Temple was constructed during the 12th century and as per the legend Lord Shiva and Parvati were married here at the confluence of River Garur Ganga and River Gomti. The temple is approached from the riverside by a flight of steps made of stones constructed by the orders of a Katyuri queen.
The Baijnath temple is actually a temple complex with the idols of Shiva, Ganesh, Parvati, Chandika, Kuber, Surya and Brahma. The temple of Mahishasur Mardini portrays the slaying of the bull-headed demon by the Goddess Kali. Situated on the left bank of the Gomti River at an elevation of 1126 m, these temples are constructed in stone. The main temple that houses a beautiful idol of Parvati is chiseled in black stone. The complex of Baijnath Temple is decorated with delicate and intricate carvings. The complex is maintained by Archeological Survey of India. Just outside the temple complex there lies a lake full of fishes Golden Masheer and fishing is strictly restricted.
Around 3 km from ...
Historical & Heritage
At a distance of 16 km from Rishikesh, Narendra Nagar is a city and a municipal board in Tehri Garhwal district of Uttarakhand. It is situated on the main Rishikesh-Gangotri-Yamunotri route. The town is situated at an elevation of 1,326 m above sea level. This is one of the popular tourist places to visit in Rishikesh.
The present town of Narendra Nagar came into existence in 1919, when Maharaja Narendra Shah of Tehri Garhwal moved his capital from Tehri to the picturesque location of Odathali or Narendra Nagar. The last Maharaja, Manabendra Shah took over the control of Tehri Garhwal in 1946, from Maharaja Narendra Shah. The province was eventually merged with the state of Uttar Pradesh shortly after India gained independence.
This town is famous among the visitors for its mythological and historical importance. According to legend, sage Uddhava is known to have performed severe penance at this spot. Also, Purasara, the founder of astrology, has been known to conduct various experiments on the movements of planets and stars.
The small town nestled in the Shivalik foothills was chosen not only for its extraordinary scenic beauty, but also for its proximity to the plains below. The town is well planned and the buildings are neatly placed and are a century old, many of these ...
|Rishikesh - Haridwar||4D/3N||₹ 9950||View Details|
|Nainital - Jim Corbett||4D/3N||₹ 11650||View Details|
|Mussoorie - Rishikesh - Haridwar||5D/4N||₹ 13650||View Details|
|Nainital - Almora - Ranikhet||5D/4N||₹ 14250||View Details|
|Nainital - Almora - Jim Corbett||6D/5N||₹ 16650||View Details|