8 BEST HISTORICAL PLACES & HERITAGE SITES NEAR TRIVANDRUM

Photo Credit: Flickr

Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 35 Kms from Kanyakumari, 53 Kms from Trivandrum & 700 Kms from Chennai (situated on Trivandrum - Kanyakumari road), Padmanabhapuram is an ancient historical town surrounded by a fort with an area of 187 acres. The ancient capital of Travancore might be constructed before AD 1601. The palace with an area of seven acres, is situated in the very centre on the Padmanabhapuram Fort, amidst hills, dales and rivers.

The fort which was built with mud originally was dismantled and reconstructed with granite by Maharaja Marthanda Varma. The height of the walls varies from 15 ft to 24 ft according to the inclination of the ground.

Entry Fee Rs 25 for Adult & Rs 10 for Children. Closed on Mondays.
Fees for Foreigners : Adult Rs 200 & Children Rs 50
Video and Camera Fee are Rs 1500 & Rs 25 Respectively
Separate fee for Car parking


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of about 32 kms from Trivandrum Central Railway Station & 12 km from Varkala, Anjengo Fort (also called as Anchuthengu Fort) is a 16th Century fort constructed by the English East India Company

It was the first settlement of East India Company in Kerala. Attingal Queen allowed the British to build a fort and trading settlements here. The remains of the old English Fort, which had withstood many a siege, can be seen here even today. Anchuthengu fort was one of the most important bastions of the British East India Company. An ancient church is located nearby

The Fort is located on the shores of clean Anchuthengu beach. Nearest Bus Station & Railway Station is Kadakkavur, which is connected by frequent buses Trivandrum city.


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 49 Kms from Alappuzha, Krishnapuram Palace situated on NH47 between Alappuzha and Kollam is a wonderful palace built by Kayamkulam Kings.

The palace was occupied by Marthanda Varma, the Maharaja of Travancore from Kayamkulam kings in 18th century. The origin and age of the palace are unknown. The Palace is a rare specimen of the Kerala style of architecture, with gabled roofs, narrow corridors and dormer windows.

Currently the palace houses an archaeological museum, with many wonderful exhibits of the region. The most fascinating exhibit being the 49 Sq. Meter Gajendra Moksham, the largest mural painting discovered in Kerala. The mural was placed at the entrance of this palace near the pond to help the kings to worship the deity after their bath. Other attractions of the palace include the garden with a variety of flora, Buddha mandapam, rare antique bronze sculptures and paintings.

Timings: .....


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 15 Km from Pathanamthitta, 53 Km from Alappuzha & 57 Km from Kumarakom, Aranmula is a Aranmula Snake Boat Race, also known as Aranmula Vallamkali is a popular boat race held in the never ending Kerala Backwaters. This is an annual boat race held in Aranmula district of Kerala during the Onam festival in the month of August-September. It is also known as Uthrittathi Boat Race.

Aranmula Vallamkali owes its origin to the Sri Parthasarathy Temple situated on the banks of the Pamba River. The Vallamkali, associated with the annual festival of Sri Parthasarathy, is usually held on the last two days of the festival. The event that attracts tourists from all over the world is conducted not to win any trophy or prize but to celebrate the anniversary of the Sri Krishna idol installation, the main deity at the Aranmula Parthasarathy Temple. It is conducted in the Pamba River in .....


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 29 Kms from Pathanamthitta & 6 Kms from Thiruvalla, Trikkukkudi Rock-Cut Temple located near Kaviyoor is an 8th century Rock-Cut temple built in Pallava style of architecture and a place of great archeological importance

Dedicated to Lord Siva, this temple is one of the three rock-cut temples in Kerala and one of the rare specimens of rock-cut temples in Kerala. It is preserved as a monument by the Archaeological Department. Lord Siva represented in the form of 3 feet high Siva Linga and is enshrined in a square cave. The shrine also contains idols of Ganapathy, Maharshi and Dwarapalakas.

This temple is situated on the banks of the River Manimala. The architecture & sculptures of the temple are unique and famous. This place is connected by Bus with Thiruvalla town, but hiring a private vehicle from Thiruvalla is the most convenient way to visit this place.


Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage

At a distance of 20 Kms from Kottayam, St.Mary's Forane Church (also known as Martha Mariam Church) is located in Kuravilangad, on the way to Muvattupuzha.

Constructed in the year of 105 AD, this Church belongs to the diocese of Palai. It is believed that Mother Mary appeared to a few children in this area and asked them to build a church at the place from where a miraculous spring emerged, which exists even today. The church was built and a statue of the Virgin Mary carved from granite is installed here. A 48 feet single block granite cross is located in front of the church, which was erected around 1597. Three majestic bells of Kuravilangad were brought from Germany in 1911.

The main festival of the church called 'Moonnu Nompu', celebrated for 3 days in the month of xx. Thousands of devotees from all parts of Kerala participate in the festival.


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 41 Kms from Kottayam and 2 Kms from Erattupetta, Poonjar Palace is 600 years old Palace built by Poonjar Rajas.

The Poonjar Palace is entirely made out of wood, reflecting the traditional Kerala architecture. The Place has a museum that exhibits royal collection of exquisite furniture, a boat carved out of a single piece of wood, huge chandeliers, palm leaf engravings, jewel boxes, lamps, sculptures, etc.

The replica of the Madurai Meenakshi Temple nearby the Palace is another attraction. The Sastha Temple close to the Palace is also an interesting place to visit.


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 1 km from Thirumalapuram Bus Stop, 24 km Tenkasi and 62 km from Tirunelveli, The rock cut cave temples are situated on the hill of Thirumalapuram also known as Varanasimalai in Sankarankovil Taluk of Thirunelveli District. These ancient Cave temples are now under the protection of Archaeological Survey of India.

There are two rock cut cave temples which are excavated by Pandyan Kings in 750 AD. Among the two caves one is finished and other is unfinished. The finished one is more significant with rectangular ardha-mandapa with a flight of steps and cells on the western walls. It contains bas-relief sculptures and two inscriptions from Pandyan period.

This temple has 3 sections with 3 bas-relief structures. The first one is a beautiful dancing Siva with a bhootha gana and bull on both sides. Lord Shiva is seen in dancing posture of Chatura. A dwarf near his foot plays the musical instrument. Second carving is .....

No Destinations found for the selected filters
Waiting

Please wait... the destinations are being loaded

Share: