At a distance of 10.5 km from Alwar Jn Railway Station, Bala Quila also known Alwar Fort is a large fort in Alwar in the state of Rajasthan. It is situated on a hill in the Aravalli Range, 300 m above the town of Alwar.
Bala Quila meaning the young fort is Alwar's oldest structure. It was built by Hasan Khan Mewati in 1550 AD. In the following centuries it went into the hands of Mughals, Marathas, Jats and Kachwaha Rajputs. Babur, the Mughal emperor had spent a night here and also taken away sizeable amount of treasure to gift his son Humayun. Later Jahangir stayed there for some time when he was banished by his father, Akbar for planning to kill one of his courtesans Abul Fazal. The place where he stayed came to be called Salim Mahal. In 1775 AD, Kachwaha Rajput Pratap Singh captured it and laid the foundation of Alwar city.
The fort is 5 km long and is about 1.5 km wide. The Fort has 6 gates, namely Jai Pol, Laxman Pol, Suraj Pol, Chand Pol, Andheri Gate and Krishna Gate. .....