Historical | Pilgrimage
#18 of 22 Places to Visit in Thanjavur
Distance (From Thanjavur Junction Railway Station): 2 Kms
Trip Duration (Including Travel): 30 Mins
Place Location: Near Brihadeeswarar Temple
Transportation Options: Cab / Auto / Walk/Trek
Travel Tips: None
At a distance of 2 km from Thanjavur Railway Station & 750 km from Old Bus Station & 500 meters from Brihadeeswarar Temple, Schwartz Church, also known as Fort Church, is located near Brihadeeswarar Temple in the Thanjavur Palace garden just north of the Sivaganga Tank, was built by Raja Serfoji in 1779 in appreciation of his teacher, the Danish missionary FC Schwartz who died in 1798.
When Schwartz died in 1798, Serfoji II, the Maratha ruler donated a striking piece of white marble that was made by John Flaxman and this is seen at the western end of the Schwartz church. The marble piece has engravings showing the dying missionary, blessing King Serfoji surrounded by his ministers.