Interested in this tour? Request Quote

Ideal Trip Duration: 1-2 Days

Base Station: Thanjavur

Nearest City to Thanjavur: Tiruchirappalli (55 Kms)

Best Time to Visit Thanjavur: November to March

Peak Season: November to March & May

State: Tamil Nadu | District: Thanjavur

Thanjavur Weather: Maximum: 40°C
Minimum: 19.8°C

At a distance of 56 km from Trichy, 112 km from Chidambaram, 86 km from Nagapattinam, 170 km from Madurai, 326 km from Chennai, Thanjavur, also known as Tanjore, is a city and district headquarters in the state of Tamil Nadu. Thanjavur is famous for the Brihadeeswarar Temple built by Rajaraja Chola in the year 1010 AD. Also known as the Big Temple, it is one of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in India and also one of the popular places to experince Tamilnadu Tourism.

Situated on the banks of River Cauvery, Thanjavur has a rich historical heritage and is a prism of ancient as well as the modern south Indian civilizations. The city was once the stronghold of the historic Cholas and at one time was also the capital of the Cholas, Mutharayars and Marathas when they were at the peak of their power. Since then, Thanjavur has been one of the chief political, cultural and religious centers of South India.

Thanjavur became the most important city in the Chola Empire and remained its capital till the emergence of Gangaikonda Cholapuram in about 1025. During the first decade of the eleventh century, the Chola king Raja Raja Chola I (985-1014) constructed the Brihadeeswarar Temple. The temple is considered to be one of the best specimens of South Indian temple architecture.

Thanjavur is one of the older cities in Tamil Nadu and has a lot of significance in Dravidian history. Thanjavur was eventually annexed along with the rest of the Chola kingdom by the Pandya king Maravarman Kulasekara Pandyan I in 1279. Later it went into the hands of Delhi Sultanate from whom Vijayanagara rulers have conquered. It was governed by Thanjavur Nayaks under Vijayanagara suzerainty. Thanjavur was successfully conquered by Ekoji I in 1674, the Maratha feudatory of the Nawab of Bijapur and half-brother of Shivaji. Ekoji founded the Thanjavur Maratha kingdom which ruled Thanjavur till 1855. The kingdom was eventually absorbed into British India in 1855 by the Doctrine of Lapse when Shivaji II (1832-55), the last Thanjavur Maratha ruler, died without a male heir.

Apart from Brihadeeswarar Temple, Thanjavur and the surrounding areas have several important tourist attractions like Thanjavur Palace, Kumbakonam, Darasuram, Gangaikonda Cholapuram, Thiruvaiyaru, Thirubuvanam, etc.

It usually takes a full day to visit the places within Thanjavur town. Thanjavur is also famous for metal sculptures moulded with great facial expressions and beautiful finish.

OTHER INFO
Internet Availability: Good
STD Code: 04362
Languages Spoken: Tamil, Hindi, Marathi & English
Major Festivals: Maha Sivaratri (Feb/Mar),
Annual Festival (May)
Notes/Tips:
None

HOW TO REACH THANJAVUR / TANJORE


By Air

Nearest Airport: Tiruchirappalli - Tiruchirapalli Airport (55 Kms)

By Train

Nearest Train Station: Thanjavur Junction Railway Station (0 Kms)
Tiruchirappalli Junction (55 Kms)

By Bus

Nearest Bus Station: Thanjavur New Bus Station (5 Kms)

25 PLACES TO VISIT & THINGS TO DO IN THANJAVUR / TANJORE


Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage

At a distance of 2 km from Thanjavur Junction Railway Station & 5 km from New Bus Station, the Brihadeeswarar Temple, also known as Peruvudaiyar Kovil or Periya Kovil is a brilliant example of the major heights achieved by Cholas in temple architecture. It was built in the year 1010 AD by the mighty Chola Emperor Raja Raja Chola I. It remains as one of the greatest glories of Indian architecture. The temple is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site known as 'Great Living Chola Temples'.

Also known as The Big Temple, Brihadeeswarar temple, dedicated to Lord Shiva, is famous for its grandeur and beautiful sculptures. The temple consists of an entrance tower followed by the main temple complex spread on a plot of 33,000 sq. ft. The inner part of the temple starts with a large Nandi mandapa which is a 12 foot tall monolithic idol with intricately carved Nandi Mandapa. The main shrine of Brihadeeswarar boasts an amazing structure with a large mandapa followed by an antarala and the sanctum. .....


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 2 km from Thanjavur Railway Station, 1.5 km from Brihadeeswarar Temple & 0.5 km from Old Bus Station, Thanjavur Palace, also known as Maratha Palace or Nayak Palace is a wonderful historical structure in the town of Thanjavur. It was the official residence of the Maratha rulers from 1674 to 1855.

It was constructed partly by Thanjavur Nayaks around 1550 CE, and expanded by the Marathas. The palace is noted for its huge halls, spacious corridors, observation and arsenal towers, and a shady courtyard. The Palace is a must visit place in Thanjavur to understand the history and lifestyle of its rulers.

The entrance to the palace is a large quadrangular courtyard which is encircled by walls with big gateways to the north and the east. The courtyard leads to a many-pillared hall. The Goodagopuram, also known as Bell Tower, an eight storied vimana like building situated on the southern side of the third quadrangle, has a height of 190 ft. It was the palace watch tower .....


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 34 Kms from Thanjavur & 284 Kms from Chennai, Darasuram, a small town 8 Kms away from Kumbakonam is known for the Airavathesvara Temple built by Rajaraja Chola II in the 12th century CE. This temple is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site 'Great Living Chola Temples'.

This temple is a storehouse of art and architecture. The vimana is 85 feet high. The front mandapam itself is in the form of a huge chariot drawn by horses. The temple has some exquisite stone carvings. The main deity's consort Periya Nayaki Amman temple is situated adjacent to Airavateshwarar temple.

The legend goes to show that Airavata, the white elephant of Indra, worshipped Lord Siva in this temple; so did also the King of Death, Yama. Inscriptions on the temple walls say that it was known in those days as Raja Rajeswaram and Raja Rajapuram.

Timings: 6 AM to 7 PM


Pilgrimage

At a distance of 42 kms from Thanjavur, 57 kms from Karaikal & 281 Kms from Chennai, Kumbakonam is a Temple City.

Sarangapani Temple: The twelve storied 147 feet high Vaishnavite temple was built by Nayak Kings in 15th century (2 Kms from bus stand).

Ramaswamy Temple: This temple depicts the paintings of Ramayana. This is said to be the only temple where Lord Hanuman is playing the veena instead of reading the Ramayana (2 Kms from bus stand).

Kumbeswara Temple: An important Saivite temple, the complex is huge and has beautiful artwork. The Mahamaham festival celebrated once in 12 years during Tamil month of Masi -Feb/Mar is famous (1 Km from bus stand).

Nageswaran Temple: Constructed by Aditya Chola in 12th century, it is dedicated to Lord Shiva. The temple is designed in such a way that it allows sunlight inside the temple only during the Tamil month of Chithirai - Apr/May (2 Km from bus stand).

Other .....


Museum & Gallery

At a distance of 2 km from Thanjavur Junction Railway Station & 0.5 km from Old Bus Station, the Art Gallery is located within Thanjavur Palace. The gallery houses a treasured collection of bronze icons, stone sculptures and other artifacts, which today stand testimony to that golden age in Tamil history.

The gallery is situated in the second part of the palace behind bell tower. The galley consists of Stone sculptures arrange in a hall at the entrance and in the hall towards southern side of the complex near Manimandapam. The bronze sculptures inside the Nayak's Durbar Hall showcase excellent craftsmanship. Durbar Hall is an excellent structure with beautiful paintings & sculptures on upper part of the walls and the ceiling. The hall also houses a marble sculpture of Raja Serfoji, popular Maratha ruler.

The examples of art that we see today at this gallery are the finest. Most of the pieces belong to Chola period between the 9th and the 13th centuries AD, to the post-Chola .....


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 2 km from Thanjavur Junction Railway Station & 0.5 km from Old Bus Station, Sangeet Mahal is located within Thanjavur Palace behind Royal Museum.

Sangeet Mahal, or Hall of Music, on the first floor has a fine auditorium with excellent acoustics. It was used for cultural activities and public audiences. The walls and ceiling are intricately painted. This is a fine auditorium with perfect acoustics, revealing the engineering skill of the ancient builders.

The dome at the center of the hall between four pillars has beautiful sculptures on four corners above the pillars. The small mandapa on elevated platform attached to the wall was the seat of the king while participating in the events. There is a painting of a Maratha ruler on the wall behind the mandapa.

The colors on the walls are partly faded away and efforts are needed to restore them. There is a wooden corridor in front of the mandapa.

Timings: 10 AM to 1 PM & 1:30 PM to 5:30 PM


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 2 km from Thanjavur Junction Railway Station & 0.5 km from Old Bus Station, Saraswati Mahal Library is located within Thanjavur Palace in front of Royal Museum. This library has one of the most important oriental manuscripts collections, in India.

Established around 1700 AD, the library contains a collection of over 44,000 palm leaf, and paper manuscripts in Indian and European languages. Over eighty per cent of its manuscripts are in Sanskrit, many on palm leaves, some very rare or even unique. The Tamil works includes treatises on medicine, and commentaries on works from the Sangam period.

The library is wonderfully decorated with color paintings in the exterior and interior walls and ceiling. The upper section of the front side wall has an image of Goddess Saraswathi.

Timings: 10 AM to 1 PM & 1:30 PM to 5:30 PM


Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage

At a distance of 2 km from Thanjavur Railway Station & 750 km from Old Bus Station & 500 meters from Brihadeeswarar Temple, Schwartz Church, also known as Fort Church, is located near Brihadeeswarar Temple in the Thanjavur Palace garden just north of the Sivaganga Tank, was built by Raja Serfoji in 1779 in appreciation of his teacher, the Danish missionary FC Schwartz who died in 1798.

When Schwartz died in 1798, Serfoji II, the Maratha ruler donated a striking piece of white marble that was made by John Flaxman and this is seen at the western end of the Schwartz church. The marble piece has engravings showing the dying missionary, blessing King Serfoji surrounded by his ministers.


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 2 km from Thanjavur Junction Railway Station & 0.5 km from Old Bus Station, Royal Museum located within Thanjavur Palace portraits items used by the royal family such as weapons, costumes and musical instruments. The entrance to the Royal Museum runs through the Saraswathi Mahal Library.

The museum is located in the first part of the palace near the entrance. Once you enter into the complex, the museum is situated on the left side in an old enclosure. The collection includes Wooden Camphor boxes, Locks, Elephant's Ankush, Utensils, Weapons, Chariot, etc.

Further into the complex past Sangeet Mahal, the Maratha Durbar Hall is a large hall with a courtyard used as for official court by the Maratha rulers of Thanjavur. The Darbar hall was built by Sahaji in the year 1684. The front mandapa of the hall is having wooden lean to the reef covered with tiles. The ceiling of the hall is painted with ten avataras of Lord Vishnu.

A beautiful thrown made of wood .....


Pilgrimage

At a distance of 6.5 Kms from Thanjavur town, the Punnai Nallur Mariamman temple located in Punnai Nallur village is one of the famous temples around Thanjavur District. The temple was build by Maratta rulers of Thanjavur.

In the year 1680, the Maratta ruler Venkoji Maharaja Chatrapati (1676 - 1688) of Thanjavur was on a pilgrimage to Samayapuram Mariamman near Thiruchirappalli. After he returned to Thanjavur, Mariamman appeared on his dream and mentioned that she is residing at the Punnai forest 5 km on the east direction of Thanjavur. The King went and saw a white-ant hill and started building a temple around it. The Maratta rulers Thulaja, Serfoji also contributed to construction of the temple.

Originally the Amman was in the form of white-ant hill. The Great saint Sadhasiva Brammendra swamy shaped the white-ant hill into a form of Mariamman and also installed a powerful Chakra.

Timings: 6 AM - 8.30 PM.


Pilgrimage

At a distance of 12 km from Thanjavur and 35 km from Kumbakonam, Thirukandiyur is a temple town situated in Tamilnadu. The major attraction of Thirukandiyur is the Temple of Hara Sapavimochana Kandeswarar. The temple of Thirukandiyur is considered one of the 108 Divyadesams and is also known as Pancha Kamala Kshetram. As per history, the temple was built by Emperor Mahabali and is located between Kudamurutti and Vennar Rivers.

According to a legend, Brahma became very arrogant and feet superior to Shiva. Brahma once visited Kailas to meet Shiva. Parvathi, the wife of Shiva got confused and performed pooja to Brahma instead of Shiva. Lord Shiva plucked off one head of Brahma to avoid the confusion between the two. This resulted in Shiva incurring a Brahmahathya dosha. The skull of Brahma stuck to the hands of Shiva which he could not separate despite all efforts. All the food offered to him was consumed by the skull and it was never filled. Holding the skull, Lord Shiva came down .....


Pilgrimage

At a distance of 13 kms from Thanjavur & 312 Kms from Chennai, Thiruvaiyaru in Thanjavur district is situated on the banks of the river Kaveri. Thiruvaaiyaru has an old Shiva temple dedicated to Panchanatheeswar. However, it's more famous for association with Thyagaraja, the Saint Composer,

The Panchanatheesvarar Temple dedicated to Shiva sprawls over a 14-acre campus and is both grand and serene. Beyond the temple are lush paddy fields and groves. The temple is about 1 Km from Thiruvaiyaru town centre. Timings - 6 AM to 12 PM and 4-9 PM.

Thyagaraja is a composer of Carnatic music, who along with his contemporaries Muthuswami Dikshitar and Syama Sastri forms the Trinity of Carnatic. He composed hundreds of devotional songs, most of them in praise of the Hindu god Rama in Telugu language.

Near the Shiva temple is the one-roomed house where Tyagaraja composed some of his greatest works. On the banks of river is the samadhi of the saint where music festival takes place .....


Pilgrimage

At a distance of 33 Kms from Thanjavur, this Basilica in Poondi village is a Roman catholic pilgrim center. It attracts pilgrims from all over India. Accommodation is provided to the pilgrims by the church authorities. People of all faiths visit this church.

In the beginning of the eighteenth century (1714-1718) a great Italian Jesuit missionary named Rev. Fr. Constantine Joseph Beschi S.J., popularly known as Veeramamunivar, built a church and named it as the church of 'Mary Queen of Immaculate Conception'. The shrine was popularly known as Poondi Matha shrine.

Poondi Madha Shrine has been raised to the level of Minor Basilica by Pope John Paul II on 3rd August 1999.


Pilgrimage

At a distance of 9 km from Kumbakonam and 37 km from Thanjavur, Swamimalai, situated on the banks of river Cauvery, is known for Sri Swaminatha Swami Temple dedicated to Lord Murugan. Swamimalai is famous for being one of the six Padai Veedugal (Battle Camps) of Lord Murugan, the others being Thiruparamkundram, Thiruchendur, Palani, Thiruthani and Pazhamudhircholai.

The temple of Swaminatha is very ancient one and believed to be existed before 2nd century BC. It is said that Parantaka Chola I upgraded this temple. The temple was greatly damaged during the Anglo-French war between Hyder Ali and British in 1740.
The presiding deity Lord Murugan is depicted here as expounding the meaning of Pranava mantra 'Aum' to his father Lord Shiva. According to legend, Brahma disrespected Murugan at the time of visiting Mount Kailash. The child Muruga got angry with Brahma and asked him how he was creating living beings. Brahma said that he was creating with the help of the Vedas. On hearing .....


Pilgrimage

At a distance of 500 m from Thirubhuvanam Bus Station, 9 km from Kumbakonam and 50 km from Thanjavur, Thirubhuvanam is well known for Kampahareswarar Temple, also known as Sarabeswarar temple. It is an ancient temple situated in Thirubhuvanam on Mayiladuthurai - Kumbakonam road.

The Kampaheswarar Temple is a Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva; the temple enshrines Kampaheswarar as the presiding deity, worshipped in the form of a Shiva Linga. According to legend, Shiva is believed to have relieved Kampa (quaking) of a king haunted by evil spirits on account of the king killing a Brahmin by mistake. This led to the name of Kampaheswarar.

The temple was built by Kulottunga Chola III (1178-1216), to celebrate a military victory. However, Pandyan kings have completed the construction of this temple. The architecture of the temple resembles Brihadeshwarar Temple of Thanjavur, Airavatesvara Temple at Darasuram and Gangaikonda Cholapuram Temple. It is believed that the temple was .....


City

At a distance of 334 km from Chennai, 133 km from Madurai, 57 km from Thanjavur and 212 km from Coimbatore, Tiruchirappalli, also called Tiruchi or Trichy is the 4th largest city and administrative headquarters of Tiruchirappalli District in Tamilnadu. Situated on the banks of the Cauvery River, Trichy is one of the famous Tourist places in Tamilnadu.

The history of Tiruchirappalli begins in the 3rd century BC, when it was under the rule of the Cholas. It was a stronghold of the early Cholas which later fell to the Pallavas. But the Pallavas never really managed to retain control of this strategic city and lost it to the Pandyas several times. Trichy continued to be in the possession of Cholas until the decline of the empire after which it became a Vijayanagara stronghold. Trichy came under the rule of Nayaks of Madurai after the collapse of Vijayanagara, later to the Marathas of Tanjore, the Nawabs of Carnatic, the French and finally .....

Distance (From Thanjavur): 57 Kms
Trip Duration (From Thanjavur - Including Travel): Full Day
.....


Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage

At a distance of 1 km from Srirangam Railway Station, 9 km from Trichy Railway Junction, 62 km from Thanjavur, 145 km from Madurai & 327 km from Chennai, Srirangam is well known for Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple which is the foremost of the eight self-manifested shrines of Lord Vishnu. The temple is considered the first among 108 prominent Vishnu temples and also one of the popular Tamilnadu tourist places.

Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple is one of the most famous temples in South India, constructed in the Dravidian style of architecture. Built across an area of 156 acres, this temple is dedicated to Ranganatha, a reclining form of Hindu deity, Lord Vishnu. This temple lies on an island formed by the twin Rivers Cauvery and Kollidam. Though the temple existing since 2nd century BC, the archaeological inscriptions are available only from the 10th century CE.

This temple is also known by other names such as Thiruvaranga Tirupati, Periyakoil, .....

Distance (From Thanjavur): 62 Kms
Trip Duration (From Thanjavur - Including Travel): 4 Hours/Half Day
.....


Pilgrimage

At a distance of 2 km from Thiruvarur Junction, 40 km from Kumbakonam, 39 km from Karaikal and 62 km from Thanjavur, Thiruvarur is a famous temple town known for Sri Thyagaraja Temple is a Hindu temple, dedicated to Lord Shiva. This is the fore most form of the Saptha Vidanga Sthalams.

Thyagaraja Swamy temple was first constructed by Aditya Chola I in 9th century. The temple was upgraded and rebuilt with stone by Rajendra Chola I in 11th century. The later expansions are attributed to Vijayanagar rulers. This temple is one of the biggest in the country and has the biggest temple chariot in Tamil Nadu.

Sri Vanmikanathar (Lord Shiva) is the presiding deity of the temple. According to the legend, Vishnu worshipped Shiva in the form of Somaskanda, associated with Ajapa dance. Shiva is said to have appeared in an anthill to Vishnu. So, no abishekam is performed for Vanmikanathar. Daily poojas are offered to a small idol referred .....


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 65 Kms from Thanjavur (near Peravurani town towards the Bay of Bengal), Manora is a popular picnic spot and a coastal town in Thanjavur district.

Manora is known for the eight-storied miniature fortress built by Rajah Serfoji in 1814. This 75-foot tower is hexagonal in shape and skirted by a moat. It is built in honor of Britain's victory over Napoleon Bonaparte at Waterloo.


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 42 km Chidambaram, 76 km from Thanjavur, 110 km from Trichy & 268 km from Chennai, Sri Brihadeeswara Temple is situated at Gangaikonda Cholapuram. Gangaikonda Cholapuram was the capital of Cholas. It was built by Rajendra Chola I, the son and successor of Rajaraja Chola, who conquered a large area in South India at the beginning of the 11th century. It occupies an important place in the history of India as the capital of the Cholas from about 1025 CE for about 250 years. This temple is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site 'Great Living Chola Temples'.

Rajendra Chola I has established this temple after his great victories in Northern India. He was originally called Madurantakan and assumed the title of Rajendra during his coronation and continued to rule along with his father Rajaraja-I for a while. Gangai Konda Cholapuram is regarded as the reproduction of Brihadisvara Temple that was built by Rajaraja Chola, father of Rajendra Chola. The temple is renowned for .....

Distance (From Thanjavur): 76 Kms
Trip Duration (From Thanjavur - Including Travel): 4 Hours/Half Day
.....


Beach

At a distance of 20 km from Karaikal, 85 Kms from Thanjavur & 298 Kms from Chennai, Nagapattinam is a coastal town on Bay of Bengal and is a district headquarters.

This place is also famous for its temples. There are few famous temples in Nagapattinam - The Shri Kayahorana Swami Neelayathatchi Amman Temple, Sowriraja Perumal Temple, and Nellukkadai Mariamman Temple.

The long and clear beaches of Nagapattinam attract large crowds on evenings.

This favourite town of Chola Kings was also celebrated later by Vijayanagara Kings. The Portuguese had a commercial contact with this town during the rule of the Thanjavur Nayak Sevvappa Nayakkar and Acchuthappa Nayakkar.

There are several historical and pilgrimage places around Nagapattinam.


Pilgrimage

At a distance of 14 km from Karaikal, 85 Kms from Thanjavur, 9 Kms from Nagapattinam & 291 Kms from Chennai, Nagore is famous for a Muslim dargah dedicated to the 16th century saint Meeran Sahib.

The Nagore Dargah shrines are situated at three locations, Nagore, Vanjur and Silladi. The main campus is at Nagore, spread over an area of about five acres, which is enclosed by compound wall, with four impressive entrances, one each on the north, south, east and west. In front of the western gate, just outside the compound, is a large tower, 131 feet tall, called 'Periya Minara'. Nagore Dargah literature discloses that Tanjore King Pratap Singh built -Periya Minara- around 1760 AD, about 200 years after the death of Meeran Sahib. He is said to have built it in appreciation of having received the grace of Meeran Sahib.

Although this is a Muslim religious place, the dargah's rituals and architecture are influenced by Hinduism. Kandhuri .....


Pilgrimage

At a distance of 1 km from Velankanni Railway Station, 31 km from Karaikal, 93 km from Thanjavur, 11 km from Nagapattinam, 161 km from Pondicherry and 313 km from Chennai, The Basilica of Our Lady of Good Health is located in Velankanni town of Tamil Nadu. The Roman Catholic Latin Rite Basilica is devoted to Our Lady of Good Health. Situated on the coast of Bay of Bengal, this is one of the most popular Christian pilgrimage sites in South India.

The Shrine of Our Lady of Velankanni is one of the most frequented religious sites in India. It can be traced back to mid-16th century and is attributed to three miracles at different sites around where the Basilica currently stands. The appearance of Mary and Christ Child to a shepherd boy, the curing of a buttermilk vendor and the rescue of Portuguese sailors from a violent sea storm are the miracles associated with this shrine.

The shrine was started as a small structure in the .....


Pilgrimage

At a distance of 106 Kms from Thanjavur and 47 Kms from Nagapattinam (which is 85 Kms from Thanjavur), Vedaranyam, located near Point Calimere is famous for Vedaranyeswarar temple dedicated to Shiva. The goddess is Vedanayaki and Veenavada vibhooshini. It is said that Parvati is supposed to have defeated Sarawati in the tuning of the Veena at this place.

It is said that during the deluge the Vedas along with the puranas, agamas, smritis and sastra took shelter under this linga and were protected. After the deluge the four Vedas along with the puranas worshipped the linga after bathing in a tank made by them. When Siva appeared, the Vedas requested Siva to let them stay there as trees and plants and others and the place are known as Vedaranyam. The tank that they had built be known as Vedamrita.

This is the only Shiv temple which has the Lord Shiv and Parvati in their whole wedding costume. The temple has fine paintings and sculptural work done on it.

Timings:6AM-1PM .....


Wildlife

At a distance of 115 Kms from Thanjavur, 56 Kms from Nagapattinam (which is 85 Kms from Thanjavur) & 354 Kms from Chennai, Calimere Wildlife Sanctuary (also known as Kodikkarai Wildlife Sanctuary) is a coastal island sanctuary situated at a distance of 11 Kms from Vedaranyam in Nagapattinam district towards Bay of Bengal.

Stretching across an area of 21.47 sq. kms, it is surrounded by the sea and mesmerizing beaches. This sanctuary is famous for the migratory birds like flamingos, water fowl, etc, which arrive here every winter. The park is also home for Wildlife like chital, wild boar, bonnet macaque, Painted stork, black buck, terns, plovers and stilts. Dolphins and turtles can also be observed near the shore.

The best time to visit is November to January. The Forest Department Rest House at Point Calimere Wildlife Sanctuary provides accommodation.

Timings: 6 AM to 5 PM on all days

No Places found for the selected filters
Waiting

Please wait... the places of interest are being loaded


Share:
RECOMMENDED CONTENT