Govind Deo Temple / Govind Dev Ji Temple
Historical | Pilgrimage
At a distance of 1 km from Vrindavan Railway Station, Govind Deo, which is also known as Govind Dev Temple, is one of the most important holy places in Vrindavan.
The Govind Dev Temple was built by Raja Man Singh, the ruler of Amber, Rajasthan in 1590 at a cost of ten million rupees. It is an astonishingly beautiful seven storey temple dedicated to Govind Dev, another name for Lord Krishna. The temple was partially destroyed by Mughal ruler Aurangzeb in 1670, and now only a three storied structure remains.
The architecture of the temple is different from those of conventional temples. This temple reflects the architectural elements of Western, Hindu and Muslim style. The temple was designed in the form of Greek cross and was made using red sandstone. The temple has an imposing facade, looking like a European cathedral because of the pillars and colonnades. It is built on a raised platform and one has to climb a flight of stairs to reach the main hall. The temple has an impressive sanctum of marble and silver.
The ceiling of the main hall is decorated with a sculptured lotus which weighs several tons. The temple is decorated with flowers during Janmashtami and Holi. It is said that the Emperor Akbar donated some of the red sandstone that had been brought for the Red Fort at Agra, for the construction of this temple. It is currently in a state of considerable decay, with the main puja related activities having shifted to a smaller temple behind the main structure.
Timings: 8 AM - 12.30 PM and 4.30 PM - 8 PM