Aregal Basadi - Jinanathpura
Historical | Pilgrimage
At a distance of 2 Kms from Shravanabelagola & 2.5 km from Bahubali Gomateshwara Temple, Aregal Basadi is located in Jinanathpura. It is named so because it was built on a rock (Are in Kannada).
The structure was built by Hiri Achimayya the son of Barma (brother of Ganga Raja who was the general of the Hoysala king Vishnuvardhana) using brick and mortar. The original image of Parshwanatha of this temple was replaced by a marble image of Parshwanatha in 1889 AD. Idols of Navadevata, Panchaparameshti, Nandishwara and Chaturvimshati are also found here.
Near the entrance, an inscription of the memorial stone erected by the wife and mother of Achimayya is found.