Ananda Ranga Pillai Mansion
At a distance of 2.5 km Pondicherry Bus Station, Ananda Ranga Pillai House is one of the oldest buildings in Pondicherry and is located right opposite the Grand Bazaar on Ranga Pillai Street.
Built in 1735, the mansion was named after Ananda Ranga Pillai, who was the courtier of Governor Joseph Francois Dupleix. This beautiful mansion is a perfect example of Indian and Gothic architecture styles. The ground floor is traditional Tamil architecture with a huge courtyard with wooden pillars with exquisite carvings.
Also called as Natives Quarters, this mansion is a treasure house to understand the French colonial period in Pondicherry as documented by Pillai in his diaries. The mansion was one of the few buildings to survive the British invasion and has been recognized by the Puducherry government as a heritage building.
Timings: 10 AM to 6 PM