Statue Of Dupleix
At a distance of 3 km from Pondicherry Bus Station, The statue of Joseph Francois Dupleix is situated in children's park on the beach road. Dupleix was one of the most popular French governors to Pondicherry. He tried to prevent British supremacy by forming alliances with local princes. With the defeat of French in Second Carnatic War, Dupleix resigned his governorship and returned to France.
The 2.88 m tall statue of Dupleix stands at the southern end of the park. This statue has been constructed over beautiful granite columns at Place du Republique. Even though Dupleix left Pondicherry in 1754, French recognition of his contribution came only in 1870, with the commissioning of two statues-one in Pondicherry and the other in France.