At a distance of 1.6 km from Basavakalyan Bus Stand, 80 km from Bidar and 78 km from Gulbarga, Basavakalyan Fort, earlier known as Kalyani Fort is located in the town of Basavakalyan.
Basavakalyan Fort is considered to be one of the oldest and most imposing forts in South India. It was built by King Nalaraja in the 10th century. Basavakalyan, earlier known as Kalyani, was the royal capital of the Western Chalukyan Dynasty from 1050 to 1189. The name was changed to Basavakalyan in 1956. It is named after Basaveshwara, a spiritual scholar from 12th century. During the rule of Chalukyas, Jainism flourished and a large number of Jain images were carved on the walls of the forts by Chalukya kings.
This fort was ruled by Yadavas of Devagiri, Kalachuris, Western Chalukyas, Bijapur Sultanate, Bidar Sultanate, Bahamani Sultanate and Hyderabad Nizams. After the fall of Western Chalukyas in 12th century the fort lost its important though small additions to the fort were continued further. .....