- Car Rentals
- * Workation
- List Property
- * Offers *
#1 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
At a distance of 1 km from Khajuraho Bus Stand, Lakshmana Temple is one of the most well preserved temples in Khajuraho. This temple is considered to be one of the oldest existing temples in the Western Group and also one of the must visit places in Khajuraho.
Lakshmana Temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu. The temple was built before 954 CE by Yashovarman, the seventh ruler of Chandela dynasty. It is believed that it took 20 years to build the temple. It is one of the first magnificent structures established in Khajuraho and also one of the three largest temples set in the Western Wing of the Khajuraho complex.
The temple is a Sandhara temple of the Panchayatana variety. The entire temple complex stands on a high platform and consists of all the elements of Hindu temple architecture. It has an entrance porch, mandapa, maha-mandapa, antarala, and garbhagriha. The platform of the temple is beautifully .....
#2 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
At a distance of 1 km from Khajuraho Bus Stand, the Kandariya Mahadev Temple is the most ornate Hindu temple in the medieval temple group found at Khajuraho in Madhya Pradesh, India. It is the largest and most beautiful temple in the Western Group of temples at Khajuraho.
Dedicated to Lord Shiva, the Kandariya Mahadev Temples was built by Vidyadhara, a powerful Chandela king. Its construction is dated to the period from 1025 and 1050 AD. Vidyadhara, also known as Bida, was a powerful ruler who fought Mahmud of Ghazni in 1019 AD. This battle was not conclusive and Mahmud had to return to Ghazni. Mahmud again waged war against Vidyadhara in 1022. He attacked the fort of Kalinjar but the siege of the fort was unsuccessful. Vidyadhara celebrated his success over Mahmud by building the Kandariya Mahadev Temple. The Archaeological Survey of India protects and maintains the temple, which is part of the UNESCO World Heritage site at Khajuraho.
Spread over an area of 6,500 square .....
#3 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
At a distance of 1 km from Khajuraho Bus Stand, Devi Jagadambi Temple is an ancient temple situated towards the north of Kandariya Mahadev Temple in the historical town of Khajuraho. It is one of the prominent temples in the Western Group and also one of the best places to visit in Khajuraho.
Also known as Jagadambika Temple, Devi Jagadambi Temple was built by the Chandela rulers between 1000 AD & 1025 AD. Originally it was dedicated to Lord Vishnu, which is evident from the figures represented in the form of beautiful stone carvings of Lord Vishnu and his avatars on the two lower bands of the temple. Later the temple was dedicated to Goddess Parvati and then to Goddess Kali. It is believed that the idol in the temple is an image of Parvati, which was painted black to provide it an appearance of Goddess Kali.
The temple is situated on the common platform of the Kandariya Mahadev Temple but small in height. Believed to be slightly older than the magnificent Kandariya Temple, .....
#4 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
At a distance of 500 m from Kandariya Mahadev Temple and 1 km from Khajuraho Bus Stand, Vishwanatha Temple is a Hindu temple located among the Western Group of Khajuraho Monuments, a UNESCO World Heritage site in Madhya Pradesh. It is one of the most beautiful temples in Khajuraho and also among the best places to experience Khajuraho Tourism.
The temple is dedicated to Shiva, who is also known as Vishwanatha, meaning 'Lord of the Universe'. The temple is believed to have been commissioned by the Chandela king Dhanga, and was probably completed in 999 CE or 1002 CE. Its architectural style is similar to that of Lakshmana and Kandariya Mahadev Temples. It features several sculptures of various deities, apsaras, couples making love, and mythical creatures.
Vishwanath Temple is one of the architectural marvels of the Khajuraho Temple complex. Stands on a raised platform, the temple comprises an entrance porch, sanctum, mandapa, maha-mandapa and vestibule. The sanctum is enclosed .....
#5 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
At a distance of 1 km from Khajuraho Bus Stand, Chitragupta Temple is an ancient shrine located to the north of Devi Jagadambi Temple in Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh. It is one of the ornate temples in the Western Group and also one of the must visit attractions in Khajuraho.
Built by Chandela rulers in1023 AD, Chitragupta Temple is dedicated to Sun God. The temple faces the East and is the only Sun Temple at Khajuraho. The temple houses a beautiful 5 feet high standing idol of Lord Surya driving a chariot, which is pulled by seven horses. Three similar figures are also carved on the door lintel.
Architecturally, it is very similar to the nearby Jagadambi Temple. It consists of a maha-mandapa, entrance porch, vestibule and a sanctum. The octagonal ceiling of the maha-mandapa is one of the most striking features of the temple. The exterior walls of the temple are covered with erotic sculptures, surasundaris, and various gods.
The south wall of the temple displays an eleven-headed .....
#6 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
At a distance of 1 km from Jain Group of Temples and 2 km from Khajuraho Bus Stand, Dulhadev or Duladeo Temple is one of the most beautiful shrines of the Southern Group of Khajuraho Temples. Situated on the north bank of Khudar River, Duladeo Temple is the last built temple in Khajuraho and also one among the famous Khajuraho Temples.
Also known as Kunwar Math, Dulhadev Temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva. As per the evidences Duladeo Temple was built by King Madanvarman of the Chandela dynasty in 1130 AD. Duladeo Temple is not as ornate as the Khajuraho temples that were built earlier.
It is a nirandhara temple and faces east. The temple consists of a sanctum without ambulatory, vestibule, maha mandapa and an entrance porch. The main hall or maha mandapa of the temple is huge and is in the shape of an octagon. The ceilings of the temple are decorated with stone carvings of the Apsaras and other ornamented sculptures. Possessing three bands of sculptures, the exteriors of the .....
#7 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
At a distance of 3.5 km from Khajuraho Bus Stand, Chaturbhuj Temple is a historical temple situated in Jatakari village near Khajuraho. Also known as Jatakari Temple, the temple is counted amongst the Southern Group of Temples in Khajuraho.
Dedicated to Lord Vishnu, the Chaturbhuj Temple was built by the rulers of Chandela dynasty in 1100 AD. The name is so derived from the word 'chaturbhuj', which means 'one with four arms'. This is so with the presiding deity Lord Vishnu who has four arms. Stands lonely and serene on a high platform, this is the only important temple in Khajuraho that faces west.
The temple is popular for its impressive architecture. It has an entrance porch, sanctum without ambulatory, and mandapa. This is the only temple at Khajuraho without any erotic carvings on the walls. This west facing temple stands on a square platform, which can be approached by a staircase of ten steps. The elaborated entrance through the doorway has beautifully carved figures .....
#8 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
At a distance of 1.8 km from Khajuraho Bus Stand, Vamana Temple is a Hindu temple situated near Brahma Temple in Khajuraho. It is also a part of the Eastern Group of Khajuraho Temples and also one of the must see places in Khajuraho.
The fascinating Vamana Temple is dedicated to Vamana, an incarnation of Lord Vishnu. This beautiful shrine, built circa1050 - 75 AD, is one of the major relics of the Chandela dynasty. It forms part of the Khajuraho Group of Monuments, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It stands as a reminiscent of the bygone era and boasts of marvelous architecture that is symbolic of the fine craftsmanship.
The architecture of the temple is similar to that of others located in Khajuraho. The temple features an entrance-porch, maha-mandapa, vestibule and sanctum. Its sikhara is embellished with a fret-work of chaitya-arches. It is also noteworthy for a peculiar roof known as samvarana over the maha-mandapa.
The sanctum is niradhara and enshrines an image .....
#9 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
At a distance of 1.5 km from Khajuraho Bus Stand, the Jain Group of Temples is located on the south east of the Khajuraho village. An intrinsic part of Eastern Group of Khajuraho Temples, Jain Group has been declared as a UNESCO World Heritage Site along with other temples in Khajuraho Group of Monuments.
There are 31 Jain Temples in total. But from architectural point of view the Parshvanath, the Adinath and the Shantinath temples are relatively more important and noteworthy temples. The temple of Parshvanath, dominating the walled enclosure of the Jain Group, is probably older than the main temples of Khajuraho. The temple is believed to have been constructed by a prominent Jain family between 950 and 970 CE, during the reign of the Chandela king Dhanga. There is a 954 CE inscription on the left door jamb of the temple mentioning gifts and endowments of gardens by one Pahila. It is believed that originally the main deity of the temple was Lord Adinath. However, later in the year .....
#10 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
At a distance of 800 m from Western Group of Temples and 2 km from Khajuraho Bus Stand, the Archaeological Museum is a popular museum situated in Khajuraho. It is one of the top places to visit in Khajuraho and also one of the best archeological museums in Madhya Pradesh.
Archeological Museum in Khajuraho was set up in 1910 by W.A. Jardine, an officer of the British Empire to preserve the loose sculptures found around the temples in Khajuraho. Initially, the remnants of the temples were assembled and preserved in an enclosure near the Matangeshwar Temple in the Western Group of Temples. This open-air museum was known as Jardine Museum but in the year 1952, the Archaeological Survey of India took over and renamed it as the Archaeological Museum.
The present museum was established in 1967 and comprises five galleries. The sculptures that are at display here belong to the Brahmanical, Buddhist and Jaina sects. The museum has about 2000 sculptures on display and the most prominent .....
#11 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
At a distance of 21 km from Khajuraho and 43 km from Panna, the Raneh Falls is a natural waterfall located in Chhatarpur district of Madhya Pradesh. It is one of the popular waterfalls in Madhya Pradesh and also one of the best Khajuraho tourist places.
Raneh Falls is an exquisite waterfall formed by River Ken running over one of the oldest rocks on earth, the Vindhya basalt. The falls is named after King Rane Pratap, the erstwhile ruler of the region. Situated in the close vicinity of Khajuraho, the waterfall emerged at the confluence of Ken and Khudar Rivers. Raneh Falls mark the edge of the Rewa plateau in Madhya Pradesh. The cascading waterfall is surrounded by wonderful rock formations.
The Ken River forms a 5 km long, and 30 m deep canyon made of pure crystalline granite in varying shades of colours ranging from pink and red to grey. It is popularly called 'The Grand Canyon of India' by the tourists, who have paid a visit to this cascade. There is a series of waterfalls .....
#12 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
At a distance of 1 km from Khajuraho Bus Stand, Matangeshwar Temple is a Hindu temple stands next to the famous Lakshmana Temple in Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh, India. It is located among the Western Group of temples. Among the Chandela-era monuments of Khajuraho, this is the only Hindu temple that is still actively used for worship.
The temple of Matangeshwar was built by the Chandela dynasty ruler Chandra Dev in the early 10th century AD. The king was an ardent devotee of Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva is considered as the venerated sage Matang and hence the name Matangeswarar. It is one of the oldest temples of Madhya Pradesh.
This temple houses some of the largest Shiva lingams of India. The lingam is eight feet in height and is made up of sparkling yellow limestone. There is a little Ganesh structure at upper right, and an extensive picture of a Goddess with two smaller attendant deities were set up on the way towards the temple. This is one of the holiest temples of central India .....
#13 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
At a distance of 2 km from Jain Group of Temples and 3 km from Khajuraho Bus Stand, Beejamandal Temple is a ruined temple in the Southern Group of Khajuraho Temples. It is situated in the old Jatkhara Village, near Chaturbhuj Temple.
Beejamandal Temple has not yet been fully excavated and explored. Archaeologists believe that this temple might be the largest of the shrines in the Khajuraho Temple complex, once excavated. Although the total length of the temple is still under ambiguity, it is believed to be more than 30 meters, which is the actual length of Kandaria Mahadev Temple, the Khajuraho's largest temple. It was opened to visitors in 1999.
Marked on the top by a white stone, it is believed that the temple was under the stack of earth. It was one of the 18 unexplored mounds in the vicinity of Khajuraho. The villagers regularly lit the holy oil-lamp each night on this mound since time immemorial. The ruins present at this the place depicts that the temple was dedicated .....
#14 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
At a distance of 1 km from Kandariya Mahadev Temple and 1.5 km from Khajuraho Bus Stand, Chausath Yogini Temple is another ruined Hindu temple belonging to the Western Group of Temples in Khajuraho. The temple has been classified as a Monument of National Importance by the Archaeological Survey of India.
Chausath Yogini Temple is believed to be the oldest surviving temples in Khajuraho, the erstwhile town of Chandelas, dating back to 900 AD. The name of the temple is derived from the Hindi word 'Chausath', which means 64. Legends state that the temple once had 64 yoginis in its 64 cells, who attended goddess Kali. Further, it is also believed that goddess Kali sheltered herself in the 65th cell. Only 35 shrines are survived now out of original 65 shrines.
The Chausath-Yogini Temple is the earliest building at Khajuraho and is situated on a low granite outcrop to the south-west of the Siva Sagar tank. Made using coarse granite, it boasts of an open-air quadrangular design .....
#15 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
At a distance of 1.5 km from Khajuraho Bus Stand and 1 km from Jain Group of Temples, Brahma Temple is an ancient temple in the historical town of Khajuraho. Situated on the banks of Khajur Lake or Ninora Tal, it is an intrinsic part of the Eastern Group of Khajuraho Temples.
Brahma Temple is dedicated to four headed Lord Brahma. Built in 900 AD, it is renowned for being one of the oldest structures in the Eastern Group of Temples. The temple is believed to be named after Lord Brahma owing to the presence of a four-faced idol in the sanctum that represents the Creator of the World. However, historians believed that it was actually dedicated to Lord Vishnu. The reason for this belief is the presence of Vishnu's image on the lintel of the door of the sanctum.
This ancient temple is made up of granite and sandstone which depict the age old architecture of Khajuraho Temples. This temple is comparatively simple in plan and design which includes a simple sanctum with no mandap, .....
#16 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
At a distance of 200 m from Brahma Temple and 1.5 km from Khajuraho Bus Stand, Javari Temple is considered to be one of the most beautiful temples in Khajuraho. Falling under the Eastern Group of Khajuraho Temples, this temple is maintained by the Archaeological Survey of India.
Dedicated to Lord Vishnu, the Javari Temple is quite popular amongst tourists coming to visit Khajuraho. Constructed between 1075 and 1100 CE, the temple displays the ancient Khajuraho architecture. It is believed that the name of the temple is derived from the name of the owner of the land, as no Hindu deity has this title.
Architecturally, it is a small yet beautiful nirandhara temple that comprises a sanctum, mandapa, portico and vestibule. The temple consists of a long porch entered through a nice stone toran. The makara - toran has four decorated loops crowned by a kirtimukha. The mandapa is small as is the Garbhagriha. The interior of the Javari Temple is covered with exquisite sculptures. This .....
#17 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
At a distance of 600 m from Jain Group of Temples and 1 km from Khajuraho Bus Stand, the Ghantai Temple is a ruined Jain temple in Khajuraho town of Madhya Pradesh, India. Falling under the Eastern Group of Temples, Ghantai Temple is situated outside the boundary wall of Jain Group of Temples in Khajuraho.
The Ghantai Temple was dedicated to the Jain tirthankara Rishabhanatha, also known as Adinatha. The construction of the temple can be dated to approximately 995 CE during the reign of the Chandela king Dhanga. The name of the temple is derived from the beautifully carved figures of chains and bells on its tall and huge pillars. Apart from this, the temple is also famous for its ornamentation, stately form and classical architecture. The temple has been classified as a Monument of National Importance by the Archaeological Survey of India.
The architecture of the Ghantai Temple is similar to the Parshvanatha Temple, although the Ghantai temple is nearly twice larger in size. .....
#18 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
At a distance of 600 m from Western Group of Temples and 2 km from Khajuraho Bus Stand, Adivart Tribal and Folk Art Museum is a popular museum located within Chandela Cultural Complex in Khajuraho. Besides the world famous Khajuraho Temples, Adivart Tribal and Folk Art Museum is one of the famous places to visit in Khajuraho.
Also known as Tribal Art Museum, Adivart Tribal & Folk Art Museum is an ideal place for history lovers. Housing the rich collection of tribal and folk art and artefacts, the museum offers a brief history of custom and rituals of the tribal people of Madhya Pradesh.
There are over 500 tribal antiques, folk paintings, jewellery, masks, terracotta objects, metal craft and bamboo items in this museum. It has a small but interesting collection of paintings, sculptures and artwork by Madhya Pradesh's many tribal groups. The colorful culture and ethnic sensibilities of the local artisans is displayed in each work in this museum. There is also a range of original .....
#19 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
At a distance of 14 km from Panna and 34 km from Khajuraho, the Pandav Falls is a serene waterfall located inside the Panna National Park in Panna district of Madhya Pradesh. Located on Khajuraho - Panna Highway, Pandav Falls is one of the scenic waterfalls in Panna and also one of the top places of Khajuraho sightseeing.
Pandav Falls is a perennial fall fed by a tributary of the river Ken in Madhya Pradesh. The falls cascades down from a height of about 30 meters into a heart shaped pool. Surrounded by lush green forests, the falls is spectacular and accessed even during peak monsoon season. The serenity, purity and mystic atmosphere of the Pandav Falls attract both the locals and tourists. At the foot of falls there are some ancient caves overlooking a large pool of water. The Pandavas of the Mahabharata are believed to have spent a part of their exile here.
The place is ideal for an enjoyable family picnic at the sparkling pool. Smoking and swimming is not allowed at the .....
#20 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
At a distance of 33 km from Panna and 65 km from Khajuraho, Ajaygarh Fort is an ancient fort situated at Ajaygarh in Panna district of Madhya Pradesh. Ajaygarh Fort is listed among the top attractions of the region.
Built at a height of 688 meters, Ajaigarh or Ajaygarh Fort stands on a flat-topped projection of Vindhya ranges. It was the capital of the Chandelas in their declining years. The fort is bordered by beautiful Vindhya Hills and provides absolutely stunning views of the Ken River. This grand fort is noted for its rich historical past and architectural beauty, which speaks volumes about the Chandela dynasty.
There is plenty to explore in the fort, which makes it a treat for history lovers. Ajaigarh Fort originally had five gates, but now only two gates are survived. There are two temples and two rock-cut tanks present inside the fort. These tanks have been named as Ganga and Yamuna. Close to it is a ruined Chandela temple, dedicated to Raja Parmardi deva. Three ruined .....
#21 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
At a distance of 58 km from Panna and 104 km from Khajuraho, Kalinjar Fort is a historical fort situated at Kalinjar in Banda district of Uttar Pradesh. It is one of the ancient forts in Madhya Pradesh and also one of the popular attraction not to miss in a Khajuraho tour Packages.
Kalinjar Fort is located on an isolated flat-topped hill in the Vindhya Range, with a height of 244 m above the plains. It is one of the eight famous forts built by Chandela kings. It served many ruling dynasties in the region, from Guptas to Solankis to the Chandela dynasty. Although many rulers fought fierce battles to win this fort, the Chandelas managed to control it for a long time. Mughal invader Babur was the only commander in history to have captured the fort in 1526 CE. It was also the place where Sher Shah Suri met his death in 1545 CE. Kalinjar played a prominent part in history down to the time of the Revolt of 1857, when it was held by .....
#22 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
At a distance of 15 km from Chhatarpur and 62 km from Khajuraho, Maharaja Chhatrasal Museum is a museum located at Dhubela on the Chhatarpur-Nowgaon highway in Chhatarpur district of Madhya Pradesh, India.
Popularly known as Dhubela Museum, Maharaja Chhatrasal Museum is housed in a palace built by Maharaja Chhatrasal on the banks of Dhubela Lake. Established in 1955, the museum houses a rich collection of artefacts from the ancient as well as from the modern era. The collection displayed in the museum helps tourists to know more about the history, development and decline of the famous Bundela dynasty of Khajuraho.
The museum has 8 galleries, displaying inscriptions, plates, sculptures, paintings, arms and armours etc. The museum houses a wide range of sculptures of the Shakti cult. The first two galleries exhibit belongings from the Gupta and Kalchuri dynasties. Next is the Jain Gallery that features beautiful artwork like images of Rishabhnath, Gomedh Ambika, Sarvatobhadrika .....
#23 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
At a distance of 29 km from Khajuraho and 50 km from Panna, Gangau Dam is a natural dam situated at the confluence of the Ken and Simiri rivers, in Madhya Pradesh. Situated inside the Panna Tiger Reserve, Gangau Dam is one of the popular picnic places for the people of Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh.
The Gangau Dam is an engineering marvel of the British Era in India built between 1909 - 1915 at the confluence of Ken and Simiri rivers in the deep forests of Panna Tiger Reserve. There is a tunnel from one end to the other. Walking through the tunnel is once in a lifetime experience. The dam is abandoned but the condition is still great.
Offering beautiful views of surroundings, this place is an ideal destination for nature lovers, anglers and the adventure lovers. Surrounded by Panna National Park and Gangau Sanctuary, this dam is thronged by various species of migratory birds during winter season. The land in the surrounding areas of the dam are very fertile, hence, the revenue .....
Places to Visit in Mahabalipuram | Places to Visit in Hampi | Places to Visit in Thanjavur | Places to Visit in Jaisalmer | Places to Visit in Ajanta Caves | Places to Visit in Jaipur | Places to Visit in Sarnath | Places to Visit in Bodhgaya | Places to Visit in Bhimbetka | Places to Visit in Konark | Places to Visit in Ramappa Temple