Interested in this tour? Request Quote

Ideal Trip Duration: 1-2 Days

Base Station: Bidar

Nearest City to Bidar: Hyderabad (140 Kms)

Best Time to Visit Bidar: October to March

Peak Season: October to March

State: Karnataka | District: Bidar

Bidar Weather: Summer: Maximum - 44°C & Minimum - 25°C
Winter: Maximum - 30°C & Minimum - 10°C

At a distance of 116 km from Gulbarga, 639 km Bangalore and 140 km from Hyderabad, Bidar is a town and district headquarters located in the north-eastern part of Karnataka. Bidar is one of the most popular tourist places to visit near Hyderabad and one of the famous Hyderabad weekend getaways from a two day trip.

It is lies at an altitude of 2,200 feet on Deccan plateau overlooking the Manjira river valley. Bidar is among the well known Karnataka tourist places. It is bounded by Nizamabad and Medak districts of Telangana on the eastern side, Latur and Osmanabad districts of Maharashtra on the western side, Nanded district of Maharashtra on the northern side and Gulbarga district on southern side. Bidar has great historical importance and it is one of the important heritage sites in Karnataka.

The history of Bidar goes back to 3rd century BC, and it was ruled by Mauryas, Satavahanas, Kadambas and Chalukyas of Badami, Rashtrakutas and later Kalyani Chalukyas. For a short period after Kalyani Chalukyas Bidar was under the Yadavas of Devgiri and Kakatiyas of Warangal.

Delhi rulers first headed by Allauddin Khilji and later Muhammed-bin-Tughluq took control of entire Deccan including Bidar. In the middle of the 14th century, the Deccan region disintegrated and formed the Bahmani Sultanate in 1347 AD under the rule of Bahman Shah. The Bahamani kingdom shifted their kingdom from Gulbarga to Bidar in the year 1429. In 1430, Ahmed Shah Wali Bahmani took steps to develop the city of Bidar and its fort was rebuilt. After break up of Bahamani Kingdom in 1527 AD, the city became capital of Barid Shahis who ruled up to 1619 AD. In the mid 17th century, when Aurangzeb conquered Deccan, Bidar became part of the Mughal Empire. The Nizam rulers of Hyderabad took over Bidar in the early part of the 18th century. It became part of the unified Mysore state in 1956, when all the states were reorganized on the basis of language.

Bidar has a number of historical monuments dating back to 15th century. These monuments reflect the glory of the Bahamani rulers. The main tourist attraction of Bidar is the Fort, which was built by Ahmad Shah in 1430. The Rangin Mahal, Solah Kambh Masjid, Gagan Mahal, Diwan-e-Am, Royal Pavilion, Tarkash Mahal are other important places to be seen within the fort. Tombs of Bahmani Rulers, Tombs of the Barid Shahis, Madrassa of Mahmud Gawan, Chaubara, Guru Nank Basavakalyan, Humnabad, Narasimha Jharniand papnash temple are the other attractions in Bidar.

Bidar is known for its unique Bidri handicraft products. The name of Bidar appears to be derived from Biduru which means bamboo.

The best time to visit Bidar is during the post-monsoon and winter seasons, which lasts from October through March.

It usually takes 1-2 full days to visit all places in Bidar.

OTHER INFO
Internet Availability: Good
STD Code: 08482
Languages Spoken: Kannada, Telugu, Hindi, English
Major Festivals: Details Not Available
Notes/Tips:
None

HOW TO REACH BIDAR


By Air

Nearest Airport: Hyderabad - Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (148 Kms)

By Train

Nearest Train Station: Bidar Railway Station (0 Kms)

By Bus

Nearest Bus Station: Bidar Bus Station (3 Kms)

22 PLACES TO VISIT & THINGS TO DO IN BIDAR


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 2 km from Bidar Railway Station, Mahmud Gawan Madarsa is one of the major historical structures and a beautiful structure situated between the Fort and Chaubara Clock Tower.

Mahmud Gawan Madarsa is an old Islamic university built by Khwaza Mahmud Gawan in 1472. Mahmud Gawan was a Persian merchant who arrived in the Bahamani Sultanate at around 1453 AD. Due to his honesty, simplicity and knowledge he impressed the Bahamani Kings. He ultimately reached to the post of prime minister and was much respected among the local population.

Gawan had built a large madarsa at the centre of Bidar with his own money. It functioned like a university, in the same way as other contemporary madarsas of West and Central Asia and Saharan Africa. The architectural style of the madarsa strongly resembles the buildings of Samarkand.

The Madarsa had an imposing three-story building with 100 feet tall minarets in four corners. .....


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 2.5 km from Bidar Railway Station, Bidar Fort is one of the magnificent forts in Karnataka and main tourist attraction of Bidar.

The initial Bidar Fort is considered to have been built during the reign of the Western Chalukya dynasty which was established in 977 AD at Kalyani. Subsequently, it was captured by the Yadava dynasty of Devagiri and fell yet again to the Kakatiyas of Warangal. Bidar Fort was rebuilt by Sultan Ahmed Shah Wali of Bahmani Dynasty, when his capital was moved from Gulbarga to Bidar in 1430 along with a number of Islamic monuments.

The Bidar fort is a specimen of the Persian architectural style having 1.21 km in length and 0.80 km in breadth, with a quadrangular layout. Surrounded by three miles long walls and comprising 37 bastions, it is surrounded by a triple moat.

There are seven gates in the fort. The dominant main gate exhibits .....


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 2.5 km from Bidar Railway Station, Rangin Mahal is a beautiful palace situated inside the Bidar Fort.

The Rangin Mahal positioned near the Gumbad Gate, is one of the best preserved sites in Bidar Fort. The mahal is famous for its beautiful wood carvings, fascinating tile mosaics and Mother of Pearl decorations.

Rangin Mahal was constructed during the reign of King Ali Barid Shah of Baridshahi dynasty (1542 - 1580). Ali Barid Shah was a great patron of Persian poetry and art. Rangin Mahal literally means 'Colored Palace' and this name was apparently given to it on account of its walls being originally decorated with tiles of different hues, traces of which still exist.

The design of the Rangin Mahal represents the blend of the both Hindu and Muslim architectures. The palace has two floors consisting of a hall with rooms. The Mahal features five-bay hall that comprises of carved wood columns in rectangular .....


Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage

At a distance of 2.8 km from Bidar Railway Station, Solah Khamba Mosque is ancient mosque situated inside Bidar Fort.

The Solah Khamba Mosque was built by Qubil Sultani between 1423 and 1424 AD. The Mosque derives its name from the 16 pillars that are lined in the front of the structure. It is also called Zanana Masjid as it is situated near the Zanana enclosure.

The Solah Khamba Mosque or sixteen columned prayer hall is the oldest Muslim building in Bidar. The Mosque is a part of Bidar fort situated after Rangin Mahal. This Mosque served as the principal place of worship within the fort.

This Mosque is about 90 m long and 24 m wide. The outer construction of the Mosque consists of a long row of arched openings. The massive columns, arches and domes are attractive. The parapet of interlocking battlements above is a Bahmani addition. Its flattish central dome is raised on a .....


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 2.8 km from Bidar Railway Station, Tarkash Mahal is situated south of Lal Bagh Gardens, beside Solah Khambha Masizd inside the Bidar Fort.

The Tarkash Mahal was originally built for the Turkish wife of a Bahmani sultan between 14-15th centuries. The upper parts of the palace were built during the Baridi rule. The decorative work of the Baridi reign is seen in the upper levels of the building.

At present, there is no access to the inner parts of the building due to the ruined condition of the structure. The upper parts can reached by a flight of steps which also lead to the roof of the Solah Khamba Mosque. In the middle, there is a hall with arched openings and was beautifully decorated with tiles and stucco work. The roof of the hall has fallen and originally there was another floor above it, the remains of which in the shape of two arches can still be there.

There are smaller rooms on either side of the .....


Pilgrimage

At a distance of 5 km from Bidar Railway Station, Narasimha Jhira is a wonderful cave temple situated on the outskirts of Bidar town.

The Narasimha Jhira Cave Temple is dedicated to the lion god Narasimha, an incarnation of Lord Vishnu. It is also known as Narasimha Zarna Cave temple or Jharani Narasimha Temple. People throng to this temple because it is believed that the idol at the Narasimha Jhira Cave temple is self manifested and is very powerful.

The Temple is known for its natural beauty and is considered to be very sacred. This ancient temple is excavated in a 300 m tunnel under the Manichoola hill range. Within the cave, a stream of water is said to be flowing continuously since the foundation of the temple. Devotees have to walk waist deep in the water for 300 m for the darshan of Lord Narasimha.

According to mythology, Lord Narasimha first killed Hiranyakashipu and then proceeded to slay the demon Jalasura who .....


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 2 km from Bidar Railway Station, Chaubara is an old circular Clock Tower and one of the important monuments situated in the heart of Bidar town.

Chaubara means a building facing in four directions. The tower is reported to have built in the pre-Islamic period but follows semi- Islamic architecture. It was probably constructed as an observation post with a height of 71 feet. This cylindrical structure gives a commanding view of the entire city from the top.

The tower has a circular base, 180 feet in circumference and 16 feet in height with small arched enclosures built along its lower parts. There is a large clock on the top of the tower. The entire tower is built of black trap masonry laid in lime and strengthened by circular bands. The tower has four rectangular openings pierced in its walls for ventilation and airflow. A winding staircase of eighty steps leads to the top of the tower.

This place is situated in the middle of a busy road and traffic .....


Pilgrimage

At a distance of 2.5 km from Bidar Railway Station, Gurudwara Nanak Jhira Sahib is a Sikh historical shrine and one of the important pilgrimage sites in Bidar.

Gurudwara Nanak Jhira Sahib was built in the year 1948 and is dedicated to the first Sikh Guru Nanak Dev Ji. The Gurudwara is established in a nice valley, surrounded by laterite hills on three sides. The shrine comprises Darbar Sahib, Diwan Hall and Langar Hall. In the sukhaasan room, Guru Granth Sahib, the holy book of Sikh is placed.

According to the History, Guru Nanak Devji along with his disciple Mardana visited Bidar during his second Udasi around 1512 AD. While he was visiting this place, Guru Nanak sat on the outskirts of the village on the foot of a hill. When people came to know about Guru Sahib, they started gathering here. They told Guru Nanak about the scarcity of water and also that the water available in Bidar was salty and unfit for drinking. It is believed that after hearing the plight of the residents, .....


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 3 km from Bidar Railway Station, The Barid Shahi Tombs are historical monuments situated in Deccan Park and Barid Shahi Park near Bidar Bus Station. The Archaeological Survey of India has declared the group of tombs as national monuments.

The Barid Shahis gained control of the territory around Bidar in the beginning of the 15th century. The tombs of Ali Barid and his son Qasim Barid are located in the sprawling gardens of Deccan Park. The 55 acre garden has hundreds of plants spread across. The main entrance has a gateway on the south, decorated with architectural motifs with star-shaped panels and beautiful patterns.

Ali Barid Shah was the most prominent among Baridshahi rulers. He was interested in architecture and built his own tomb three years before his death in 1577. The Tomb of Ali Barid Shah is one of the finest examples of Islamic architecture and beauty. There is a two storied gateway which leads to .....


Pilgrimage

At a distance of 4 km from Bidar Railway Station, Papanash Temple is a popular temple and another worth visiting place in Bidar. This Temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva.

According to the legend, Lord Rama installed the Shiva linga in this temple on his way back to Ayodhya from Lanka. The original temple was lost and a new temple has been built on the ruins. This temple is located in a beautiful valley. In the sanctum, there is a big Shiva Linga with three other Shiva Lingas in the temple complex where devotees can offer pujas.

There is a large pond at the foot of the temple which is constantly fed by a natural spring. This pond is known as Papanash, meaning destroyer of sins. Hence many devotees come here and holy dip in this pond is believed to cleanse the soul of devotee from all the sins.

Shivaratri is the major festival celebrated at this temple which attracts large number of tourists.


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 5 km from Bidar Railway Station and 1 km from Bahmani Tombs, Chaukhandi of Hazrat Khalil Ullah is located at Ashtur.

Chaukhandi of Hazrat Khalil Ullah is a tomb built in honour of the renowned Hazrat Khalil Ullah. He was the spiritual adviser of Sultan Ahmed Shah. The tomb is known for its beautiful architecture, which features calligraphy and stone work above the arched doorways with carved granite pillars and adorned walls of the structure.

Chaukhandi of Hazrat Khalil Ullah is one of the prominent historical monuments in Bidar. The tomb is a two story octagon with a freestanding square domed tomb chamber within, entered through a large gateway with pointed arches. The outer octagonal curtain wall has arched recesses flanked by panels with diagonal squares; all outlined in black carved stone bands and covered in colored tile work. Inscriptions of Koranic verses adorn the doorway. The walls are decorated with stucco work both inside and outside. The calligraphy .....


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 5.5 km from Bidar Railway Station, Bahmani Tombs located at Ashtur are other important historical monuments in Bidar, after the Fort.

The 12 tombs of Bahmani Sultans are located in the same compound. They are huge structures with beautiful arches, niches and lofty domes. Among all the tombs, the tomb of Ahmad Shah Wali is most popular. Ahmad Shah shifted the capital from Gulbrga to Bidar in 1430 and rebuilt the old fort. Ahmed Shah Bahmani was a religious ruler. He was devoted to Khwaja Bande Nawaz of Gulbarga and later to the order of Shah Nimat-Ullah of Kirman. He was also respected the doctrine of Lingayats, a religious order of Deccan established by the philosopher, statesman and social reformer Basavanna.

Ahmad Shah Wali the 9th Bahmani Sultan died in 1436 and his son Alauddin built a majestic tomb for his father. The walls are about twelve feet thick supporting a huge dome on the top. There are three doors .....


Park

At a distance of 7.5 km from Bidar Railway Station, Deva Deva Vana situated near Shahpur is one of the largest Botanical parks in Karnataka.

Deva Deva Vanam is spread over an area of about 3 sq. km. This is part of Shahpur Reserve forest, developed as eco-tourist spot. This park contains various medicinal flora and fauna grouped with devotional names like Panchavativana, Ashoka vana, Rashi vana (zodiac), Navagraha vana etc.

Deva Deva Vana is a suitable place for picnic. People can come here in holidays with their friends and families and enjoy this place. This park contains small hotel with restaurant. Eco-huts are available for overnight stay. Children's entertainment area is designed in the form of water slides, colorful slides and swings.

Timings: 2 PM to 6 PM. Entry Fee: Rs.10.


Pilgrimage

At a distance of 2 km from Khanapur Railway Station and 15 km from Bidar, Sri Mailar Mallanna Temple is an ancient temple situated on Bidar-Udgir Road.

Sri Mailar Mallanna Temple is dedicated to the god Khandoba, another form of Lord Shiva. This avatar of Lord Shiva is classically known as Martanda Bhairava and popularly known as Khandoba among many other names. Martanda Bhairava is described as shining like the gold and sun, covered in turmeric, three-eyed, with a crescent moon on his forehead. The main priest of this temple belongs to Kurubas community.

According to the legend, the demon Mallasur and his younger brother Manikasur (Mani), who had gained the boon of invincibility from Brahma, they started killing and torturing innocent people and sages in and around Mailar. When the sages approached Shiva for protection after Indra and Vishnu confessed their incapability, Shiva assumed the form of Martanda Bhairava riding the Nandi bull leading an army of the Gods.

The .....


Pilgrimage

At a distance of 2 km from Aurad Main Bus Stand and 43 km from Bidar, Sri Amareshwar temple is located in the heart of Aurad Town.

Dedicated to Lord Amareswara, this temple was built in 10th century. There are two Gaja Laxmis at the entrance of the temple. According to the locals, Lord Amareshwara of Aurad was the saint from heaven has done unbroken meditation for God prior to 10th Century. There was a big forest and an anthill was buildup around him, a cow was feeding her milk. The present temple was built by the devotees of Lord Amareshwara.

A 12th century inscription was found in Amareshwar Temple which denotes that a 15 Ghale land nearby Dodda Betta towards west had been donated to Lord Amareshwar for the development of Amareshwar Temple.


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 2.5 km from Bhalki Railway Station and 44 km from Bidar, Bhalki Fort is an ancient fort situated in the town of Bhalki.

The Bhalki Fort was built by Ramachandra Jadhav and Dhanaji Jadhav, under King Jang Bahadur, between 1820 & 1850. The fort spread over five acres amidst thick vegitation. It is quadrangle in plan having 20 feet high walls and one bastion. Locally available black stone has been used with lime mortar to build the fort. This fort was an arms and ammunition depot for Maratha army. Bhalki fort came into possession of Nizam of Hyderabad during British rule.

Bhalki fort has two important temples. The Kumbheshwar temple is inside the fort while the Bhalkeshwar temple is slightly away. On one side of the fort wall is a stepped well and at the other end is a narrow passage leading to another courtyard in the north, where part of the old Fort is being used as a primary school. There is a temple dedicated to Lord Ganesh at the northern end.

Most .....


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 45 km from Bidar and 38 km from Basavakalyan, Sri Kamalishwara Temple also known as Kaleshwara Temple is located in historical village of Jalasangvi. The Jalasangvi village was once a major center of activity during the rule of the Chalukyas of Kalyani. The Kamalishwara temple is said to have been built around 1100 AD by king Vikramaditya VI of the Chalukya dynasty.

Built on a star-shaped platform, the temple was constructed in the Besara style, a unique combination of North Indian Nagara and South Indian Chalukya. It is a small rectangular structure. Inside the temple there is a Shiva Linga. The exterior walls of the temple have preserved some outstanding sculptures. The temple is famous for its outstanding Salabhanjika or Madanika sculptures. They are heavily decorated with ornaments and attires. The most prominent sculpture here is a woman writing an epigraph in Kannada.

The sculptures of Jalasangvi shrine are .....


Pilgrimage

At a distance of 2 km from Humnabad Bus Station and 51 km from Bidar, Sri Manik Prabhu Temple is located on the confluence of two holy rivulets Viraja and Guru Ganga at the village of Maniknagar.

The Manik Prabhu temple is built over a Sanjeevani Samaadhi of a Saint Sri Sadguru Manik Prabhu Maharaj. He was a great saint and is believed to be the fourth incarnation of Lord Dattatreya. He was born in 1817 and attained Samadhi on 1865.

The saint is renowned for his mystic powers through which he removed the pain and sufferings of many devotees who came to seek his blessings. The saint stressed on the importance of following the path of Bhakti. Sri Manik Prabhu Maharaj has severla poetic contributions which are all dedicated to the Lord Brahma. The saint was given the title of Sakalamatacharya as all communities revered and respected him.

The temple is a unique architectural beauty and a major spiritual and religious centre. The temple attracts both Hindu and Muslim devotees. .....


Pilgrimage

At a distance of 2 km from Humnabad Railway Station and 51 km from Bidar, Sri Veerabhadreshwara temple is a famous pilgrimage center situated at Humnabad.

Sri Veerabhadreshwara Temple was built by Raja Ramachandra Jadhav in 1725. Dedicated to Lord Veerabhadra, another form of Lord Shiva, this temple is famous for its moving pillar. The idol in the sanctum is very magnificent. The temple has two tall lamp pillars about 50 feet high.

According to Mythology, Veerabhadra is a super being created by the wrath of Rudra (Shiva), after Sati, consort of Shiva, self-immolated in the Yagna. Veerabhadra is one of the primary deities of Veerashaiva Lingayat, Pancham-acharyas mainly from Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.

An annual seven-day Veerabhadreshwara Jatra is held in January/February. At this time, this ancient temple of Lord Veerabhadreshwara attracts lakhs of tourists.

Timings: 7 AM - 11 AM and 4 PM - 8 PM.


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 4 km from Basavakalyan and 77 km from Bidar, Lord Shiva temple is located in Narayanpur.

The Narayanpur Shiva temple was built in 12th century by Chalukyan rulers. The temple is situated inside the village amidst dwellings. At the entrance various sculptures including a hero-stone and a slab with Kannada inscriptions are there. There are remains of a number of apsaras surrounding the main vimana of the temple. They are graceful and sensuous and in a variety of actions, such as the seductive shringar rasa.

This temple design is similar to Kalmeshwar temple of Jalasangvi. It is said that Hoysalas adopted this design into their temple designs. The temple got some restoration and preserved from the verge of completely ruined state.


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 1.6 km from Basavakalyan Bus Stand, 80 km from Bidar and 78 km from Gulbarga, Basavakalyan Fort, earlier known as Kalyani Fort is located in the town of Basavakalyan.

Basavakalyan Fort is considered to be one of the oldest and most imposing forts in South India. It was built by King Nalaraja in the 10th century. Basavakalyan, earlier known as Kalyani, was the royal capital of the Western Chalukyan Dynasty from 1050 to 1189. The name was changed to Basavakalyan in 1956. It is named after Basaveshwara, a spiritual scholar from 12th century. During the rule of Chalukyas, Jainism flourished and a large number of Jain images were carved on the walls of the forts by Chalukya kings.

This fort was ruled by Yadavas of Devagiri, Kalachuris, Western Chalukyas, Bijapur Sultanate, Bidar Sultanate, Bahamani Sultanate and Hyderabad Nizams. After the fall of Western Chalukyas in 12th century the fort lost its important though small additions to the fort were continued further. .....


Historical & Heritage

At a distance of 18 km from Basavakalyan and 84 km from Bidar, The Uma Maheshwara Temple is located in Umapur Village.

The Uma Maheshwara Temple is an ancient temple dedicated to Lord Shiva built in 12th century during Kalyani Chalukyan reign. Umapur is also known as Laheshwar. The temple premises contains two temples. Apart from Uma maheshwara temple, an open air shrine for Ganesha exists here. These temples were built during the rule of Vikramaditya VI, the second son of King Someshwara I. Both temples are east facing having Mukhamantapa and Shikhara. The Shiva temple has 3 entrances to its Sabhamantapa while the second has only one entrance. Both temples have recently undergone restoration work.

Inside the sanctum is a Shiva Linga and opposite it in the Sabhamantapa is Nandi. The sanctum entrance is flanked by two Dwarapalakas. One of the temples has a fish and a tortoise in its entrance. On the exterior walls of one of the temples is a sculpture of Uma Maheshwara riding .....

No Places found for the selected filters
Waiting

Please wait... the places of interest are being loaded


Share:
RECOMMENDED CONTENT