Kollam (Quilon) is an old sea port city lies between the Ashtamudi Lake and Lakshadweep Sea in Kerala. It is the southern gateway to Kerala backwaters and is a prominent destination for Tourism in Kerala. Thirty percent of this district is covered by Ashtamudi Lake. The eight hour boat trip between Kollam and Alappuzha is the one of the best way to explore the backwaters along with daily life of locals. Kollam is the venue for famous Kallada Boat Race held in January every year.
District Tourism Promotion Council, Kollam (DTPC Kollam) is the only Govt. agency rendering its hospitality at Kollam for all backwater lovers by offering innovative and customized backwater cruise packages.
- Round Trip Cruise - This houseboat cruise covers various islands in Ashtamudi backwaters for the entire day from 11 AM to 5 PM.
- See and Sleep Cruise - A day cruise with overnight stay in the blue waters from 2 PM to 8 AM.
- Star Night Cruise - A house boat cruise covering sunset hours in backwater & star night stay in the mid of water column from 5 PM to 8 AM.
- One full day & over night cruise on the Backwaters of Kollam.
- Kollam - Thottappally cruise is a 22 hours one way trip which starts from Kollam.
- Kollam - Alappuzha cruise is also a one way trip from Kollam and is one full day & night stay.
- Kollam - Alappuzha - Kumarakom / Kottayam is a 2 day & 2 night trip.
- Kollam - Alleppey - Kochi is also a 2 day & 2 night cruise.
DTPC Kollam also offers unique country craft cruise at Munroe Island - a typical backwater Island village of Kerala, which provides at true life of Kerala. There are two trips daily from 9 AM to 1.30 PM & 2 PM to 6.30 PM.