ST. AUGUSTINE TOWER / CHURCH OF ST. AUGUSTIN
Distance (From Kadamba Bus Terminus): 8 Kms
Visited From: Basilica of Bom Jesus
Trip Duration (Including Travel): 30 Mins
Place Location: Near Basilica Of Bom Jesus
Transportation Options: Cab / Auto / Rental Bike
Phone No: NA
Travel Tips: This place is usually visited from Basilica of Bom Jesus(1 km). Following places can also be visited from here:
Church of St Francis of Assisi (0.8 kms), Se Cathedral ( 1 kms), Our Lady of the Rosary (0.5 kms), Museum Of Christian Art (0.3 kms), Church of St John of God (0.3 kms), San Pedro Church (0.9 kms), Our Lady of Help Church (1 km), Church of St Cajetan (1.4 kms), Church of the Carmelites (1.9 kms)
At a distance of 8 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 27 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 23 km from Mapusa, Church and Monastery of Augustin is situated in Old Goa. It is one of the prime Goa tourist places. This place is part of UNESCO World Heritage Site (Churches & Convents of Goa).
The Church and Monastery of St Augustine were built in 1572 by 12 Augustines when they arrived in the city of Goa. The construction of the church was completed in 1602 AD. They also built a convent besides the church. A ban was imposed by the Portuguese government against the Augustines. The church and the convent thereafter were deserted.
The ruins of 46 m high Bell Tower without the bell can be seen from some distance and attract visitors. The four storied arched belfry tower built of laterite of the church facing east. This tower is one of the four towers of St. Augustine Church. The Church had eight richly adorned chapels and four altars and a convent with numerous cells. The ruins of these can be seen even today around the tower. The bell was first placed in the Fort Aguada Light House, where it remained from 1841 to 1871 AD. Finally it was put in the church of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception at Panaji in 1871 AD and it is still in working condition.
The ruins of St. Augustine Church also known as Nossa Senhora da Graca Church are a very popular tourist attraction and one of the most spectacular monuments in Goa. The St. Augustine Church was considered to be one of the greatest of three Augustinian churches. Now, only the ruins of the front portion of the church and magnificent tower remain. Today most of the remaining buildings and churches are maintained by the Archeological Survey of India and the church services are maintained by the Archdiocese of Goa.
Timings: 8 AM to 6 PM