#26 of 85 Places to Visit in Panjim
Distance (From Panjim (Goa)): 33 Kms
Trip Duration (Including Travel): 2-3 Hours
Place Location: Near Mormugao
Transportation Options: Cab / Bus / Rental Bike
Travel Tips: 1.Hansa Beach (6 kms) can also be visited from this place.
2.Bogmalo Beach (12.8 kms) can also be visited from this place.
3.St. Andrew's Church (4.7 kms) can also be visited from this place.
At a distance of 33 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand and 4 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station, Mormugao Fort is located just south of Mormugao Port in South Goa.
The Mormugao Fort was essentially built by the Portuguese in 1624 to protect the harbor, territorial waters in and around the Port of Margao. The Mormugao Fort is a tough fortification jutting out far into the sea with a magnificent lookout for invaders and attackers. The Maratha warriors continued to attack the town and the Fort and finally the Portuguese gave up the township in preference for Old Goa.
Mormugao Fort was considered as one of the most important coastal forts of Goa. Primarily, Mormugao was generalized to be the capital of the Portuguese empire, hence the Fort was erected and in 1703 the viceroy moved into the town. Mormugao Fort is closer to Varca beach.
The Mormugao Fort is about 10 km in circumference and boasts of possessing some ancient articles like 20 bulwarks, three magazines, five prisons, a chapel and quarters for the guards. There were two beautiful fountains. The Fonte de Malabar kept the royal arms and was said to bob up from a gold mine and the Fonte de Santo Ignacio which had a more modest beginning in a sulphur mine. Today Mormugao Fort offers exquisite views of the seascape with only the chapel and a segment of the boundary wall standing testimony to its glorious past.
The inscriptions over the gates of the Fort are the centre of attraction and tourists come to unveil the historical treasures lying in the Mormugao Fort in Goa. This inscription includes names of Dom Francisco Da Gama and King Dom Fillip.