Hill Station | Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage
At a distance of 4.5 km from Chandigarh Bus Station, Rock Garden is a sculpture garden situated in Sector 1 near Sukhna Lake in Chandigarh. The Rock Garden is one of the prime attractions of Chandigarh and also one of the must visit places in Chandigarh.
Also known as Nek Chand's Rock Garden, the park was opened to the public in 1976. Spread over an area of 25 acres, the Rock Garden has been designed as an open-air exhibition hall using urban and industrial wastes by Nek Chand, a former Road Inspector in Chandigarh. Nek Chand started the garden secretly near Sukhna Lake in 1957. The site where the rock garden stands today was a dumping ground and from here Mr. Nek Chand picked many waste materials and eventually shaped them into some amazing structures of humans and other forms. It was discovered by the authorities in 1975 and might have been demolished on the grounds of being illegal, but was saved by popular public opinion. Nek Chand was then put in charge of the park and given .....
Historical & Heritage | Park
At a distance of 23 km from Chandigarh Bus Station, Pinjore Gardens, also known as Yadavindra Gardens, is a historical garden located at Pinjore village in Panchkula district of Haryana state. Situated on Ambala-Shimla road, Pinjore Garden is one of the top places to experience Chandigarh Tourism.
Located on the foothills of lower Shivaliks, Pinjore Garden was created in the 17th century by architect Nawab Fidai Khan during the early reign of his foster brother Aurangzeb. After it was initially built by Fidai Khan, the garden was refurbished by Yadavindra Singh and restored to its former splendour, since it had grown into a wild jungle due to long years of neglect. The name Yadavindra Garden is given as a symbol of honor to Maharaja Yadavindra Singh of the Patiala dynasty, the former royals of Chandigarh.
Spreads over an area of 100 acres, Pinjore Garden is built in the typical Mughal style. The garden has been laid down comprising of seven broad terraces. The main gate of .....
At a distance of 7 km from Shimla Railway Station and 7 km from Shimla Old Bus Stand, Jakhu Temple is an ancient temple dedicated to Hindu deity Hanuman. It is situated on Jakhu Hill and is one of the prime places to visit in Shimla. It is situated at an altitude of 2455m and is also the highest peak in Shimla.
According to mythology, a deadly arrow injured Lord Rama's brother Lakshmana when he was fighting the battle with the demon king Ravana. In order to save his life, when lord Hanuman was moving towards Himalayas to get Sanjeevani herb. Upon reaching the Himalayas, Hanuman couldn't make out as to which herb was the Sanjeevani. So he dug up the entire mountain and flew back to where Lakshmana was lying injured.
After Lakshmana was cured, Hanuman went back to place the mountain in its original site. He rested on top of the Jakhu hill for some time. .....
Adventure / Trekking | Nature & Scenic
At a distance of 16 km from Shimla Railway Station and 5.6 km from Fagu, Kufri is a small hill station in Shimla district, positioned at an elevation of 2,510 m on the National Highway 22. Kufri is quite famous for the popular ski resort. It is one of the best places for skiing in Shimla and also one of the top adventure site and skiing destinations in India. Kufri is also one of the best places to experience the Tourism in Himachal and another popular attraction not to miss in a Shimla tour package.
Kufri derives its name from 'Kufr' which means lake. It is especially popular among trekkers and it is a popular place for adventure sports in Himachal Pradesh. The British discovered it in 1819. As Shimla gained importance, Kufri also began to be recognized as an important place to visit near Shimla as part of honeymoon tour.
Historical & Heritage
At a distance of 2 km from Shimla Railway Station and 3 km from Shimla Old Bus Stand, Vice Regal Lodge also known as Rashtrapati Niwas is located on the Observatory Hills of Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India. The lodge is one the best places to visit in Shimla city. It was formerly the residence of the British Viceroy of India Lord Dufferin.
The Vice Regal Lodge was designed by British architect Henry Irwin and built in the Jacobethan style during the regime of Lord Dufferin. Its construction was started in 1880 and completed in 1888. Only the local woods like pine and cedar were used to construct this marvel. Vice Regal Lodge is the only building of Shimla that occupies an entire hill by itself. The building now serves as the center for the Indian Institute of Advanced Study (IIAS).
The entrance opening to South leads one to the reception hall which stands adorned by a splendid fireplace and a grand spiraling staircase. The building .....
Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage
At a distance of 2 km from Shimla Railway Station and 1.3 km from Shimla Old Bus Stand, Christ Church Shimla is the second oldest church in North India. The majestic appearance of the church and its stunning location makes it one of the top places to visit in Shimla.
The church was designed in neo-gothic style in 1844 by J.T. Boileau but it was consecrated after 1857. The Christ Church is situated on The Ridge where is stands out as one of the prominent landmarks of Shimla. Colonel Dumbleton in 1860 donated the giant round clock that adorns the front facial of the church. The porch was added to the structure in 1873. It started as a shrine to serve the Anglican British community in Shimla and hence is considered as one of the most visited places of worship in the country's most celebrated hill town. It is governed under the diocese of Amritsar belonging to the Churches of North India.
The interior .....
Historical & Heritage
At a distance of 2 km from Shimla Railway Station and 1.2 km from Shimla Old Bus Stand, The Ridge is a large open space located in the heart of Shimla. It is among the most visited Shimla tourist places and among the prime place to visit on a Shimla tour. The Ridge is situated along the Mall Road which is the famous shopping center of Shimla.
Several major places of Shimla like Lakkar Bazaar, Mall, Scandal Point, Jakhu Hill, etc. are connected through the Ridge. The movement of vehicles is strictly prohibited here. The Ridge in Shimla always remains crowded with hundreds of people. Tourists from all over the country visit this awesome place for the view of the sunset.
The Ridge at Shimla also provides the tourists a view of the age old Christ Church built in the Neo-Gothic style of architecture as well as the new Tudor library. The statue of YS Parmar .....
At a distance of 2 km from Shimla Railway Station and 2 km from Shimla Old Bus Stand, Mall Road is the main street in Shimla. Located at the heart of the town, the Mall Road is one of the busiest commercial areas of Shimla. The Mall extends from Barnes court in the eastern side to Vice Regal Lodge in the western side. Shopping in Mall Road is one of the top things to do in Shimla.
Built by the British during the colonial rule in India, the Mall Road was constructed keeping in mind the traffic on this route. Entry of vehicles was banned though cycle rickshaws were allowed. It has been built in a very strategic and planned way. The Mall road is located a level below the ridge. The offices of Municipal Corporation, fire service and police headquarters are located here.
The Mall Road also has all major hotels, restaurants and recreation centers of Shimla. The Mall road is full of shops that sell woolen clothes, branded clothes, handicraft .....
Historical & Heritage
At a distance of 20 km from Manali Bus Stand and 22 km from the Kullu Bus Stand, The Naggar Castle is a famous castle located in Naggar. It is one of the best places to visit in Manali. The Castle overlooks the Kullu Valley. From the castle one could see the far off snow-covered peaks, the delightful Beas valley below and the lush green hill sides dotted with apple orchards. This is another popular attraction not to miss in a Manali tour package.
The Naggar Castle is a magnificent historical structure. The castle was built by Raja Sidhi Singh in 1460 AD in an impressive combination of European and Himalayan architecture. The castle has traditional architecture called Kathkooni, which uses a combination of stones and wooden beams.
The Naggar Castle was used as a Royal residence and state head quarter until .....
Nature & Scenic | Pilgrimage
At a distance of 2 km from Manali Bus Stand, Hidimbi Devi Temple also known as the Dhungri Temple is an ancient cave temple dedicated to Hidimbi Devi. Located in the middle of dense forest Called Dhungri Van Vihar and from the name of the forest only the temple drives its name. Hidimbi Devi Temple is of the top places to visit in Manali which was built in 1553 by Raja Bahadur Singh.
The temple is dedicated to Hidimbi Devi, sister of Hidimba and wife of Bhima, one of the Pandavas from Mahabharata epic. According to the legend, the Pandavas stayed in Himachal during their exile. One of the brothers Bhima fell in love with Hidimbi, the sister of the ruler Hidimba. Bhima and Hidimbi had a son but when Bhima and the Pandavas returned from exile she stayed back and performance penance and attained the status of goddess.
The Hidimbi Devi temple is 24 meters tall and consists of three square roofs with timber .....
Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage
At a distance of 3 km from Manali Bus Stand, Manu Temple dedicated to the Indian sage Manu is located at old Manali. Manali is named after the sage Manu who was the creator of human race on earth according to mythology and it is believed that he meditated here. This is supposed to be the only temple of Manu in India. Manu Temple is one of the best Manali tourist places.
Travellers can enjoy a beautiful view of the surrounding hills and river Beas from the temple. Lying in the congested locality of old Manali, the temple is often visited by the tourists who arrive from different parts of the world.
Manu Temple was built in pagoda style of architecture. The temple was rebuilt in the year 1992, when the vaulted ceiling and marble floors were added. One can find various artifacts along with the idols of gods and goddesses in different postures in this temple.
Historical & Heritage | Pilgrimage
At a distance of 3.5 km from Manali Bus Stand, Vashist Temple in Manali is dedicated to sage Vashisht, the Kula guru of Lord Rama in the village Vashisht across the River Beas. It is among the most famous places to visit in Manali.
The village of Vashisht was named after Rishi Vashisht one of the seven sages of Hindu. According to the legend, Rishi Vashisht was left depressed on finding out that his children had been killed by Vishwamitra. Rishi Vashisht tried to commit suicide by jumping into a river but the river refused to kill him. He then started a new life in the village here. The river which took the rishi to the village was named Vipasha, meaning freedom from bondage. The Vipasha River is now known as the Beas River.
The Vashisht temple is believed to be more than 4000 years old. Inside the temple there is a black stone image of the Rishi wearing dhoti. The Vashist temple is decorated with excellent and beautiful carvings .....
Adventure / Trekking | Nature & Scenic
At a distance of 12 km from Manali Bus Stand, 2.5 km from Solang Village and 8 km from Burwa, Solang Valley locally known as Solang is one of the most famous tourist places in Manali and it is a well known Tourist places in Himachal for skiing, mountaineering and trekking activities.
Solang Valley is situated between Solang village and Beas Kund. It offers panoramic views of the surrounding snowcapped mountains and glaciers. It lies at a height of 8500 ft above the sea level and covered with green dense forests.
Solang Valley has fine ski slopes. The Mountaineering Institute of Manali has installed a ski lift for training purpose. The Directorate of Mountaineering & Allied Sports in Manali also organizes basic, advance and intermediate level courses in skiing.
The winter skiing festival is organized in Solang Valley. Skiing and Paragliding are two main activities are organized .....
At a distance of 10 km from Kullu Bus stand, 12 km from Naggar and 31 km from Manali, Dhakpo Shedrupling Monastery is located in Kais village of Kullu District. It is also known as Kais Monastery.
This monastery was inaugurated during the month of May in the year 2005 by the great Noble laureate and his Holiness Dalai Lama. This Monastery is located near the left bank of Beas River. The picturesque view of the valleys which are surrounding the place make it an appealing destination.
The monastery gives a magical look and it has been strongly dedicated to Dalai Lama. The Dhakpo Monastery systemized with the traditional reasoning and scriptures of the master and disciple, the great pioneers of Buddha Dharma. The monastery serves as a boarding school and university for the study of Buddhist philosophy. This monastery houses several Tibetan monks. This Monastery has a huge prayer hall with a huge Buddha statue.
Every year in the month of August His Highness Dhakpo Rinpochhe .....
At a distance of 0.5 km from Kullu Bus stand, Raghunathji Temple is situated in Sultanpur. Lord Raghunathji is the chief deity of Kullu region. This temple is situated at an elevation of 2050 m and offers amazing views of the surrounding region.
Dedicated to Lord Rama, this temple was built in the 17th century by Raja Jagat Singh of Kullu. The idol is said to be the same which was used by Lord Rama himself at the time of Ashwamedha Yagna and was brought from Tretnath temple of Ayodhya.
The pagoda-style temple is a beautiful example of Pahari architecture. The main deity of the temple is Lord Rama whose image is enshrined at the main prayer room in the temple. The temple is made of white marble and contains a beautiful vimana. The prime attraction of this temple is the idol of Lord Rama in his chariot. The temple is also known for its white pillars which are adorned with beautiful intricate engravings.
According to the folklore, Raja Jagat Singh was held responsible .....
At a distance of 2 km from Amritsar Junction, Golden Temple is most sacred Sikh pilgrimage site situated in Amritsar town of Punjab state. Popularly known as Harmandir Sahib or Darbar Sahib, Golden Temple is acclaimed as one of the most visited pilgrimage centers in India.
Sri Guru Ram Das Ji, 4th Sikh Guru, started the digging of Amrit Sarovar in 1577 AD on the orders of 3rd Sikh guru Sri Guru Amar Das Ji. Which was later on brick-lined by Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji, the 5th Sikh Guru, in 1588 and he also started the construction of Sri Harmandir Sahib. Sri Guru Granth Sahib was first installed at Harmandir Sahib in 1604 AD. The temple had to be substantially rebuilt after it was destroyed in fire accident in the 1760s. In the early 19th century, 100 kg of gold were applied to the inverted lotus-shaped dome and decorative marble work took place under the patronage of Maharaja Ranjit Singh.
Fondly known as Swarn Mandir, Sri Harmandir Sahib is built on 67 feet square platform in .....
Historical & Heritage
At a distance of 3 km from Amritsar Junction and 1 km from Golden Temple, Jallianwala Bagh is a memorial garden located in Amritsar town of Punjab. Situated near Harmandir Sahib, it is one of the top places to visit in Amritsar.
Jallianwala Bagh is the unfortunate site where thousands of innocents were brutally killed by British troops on 13th April 1919, which was the day of Baisakhi festival for the people of Sikh religion. In order to celebrate this festival, a big crowd of many villagers had gathered in the Jallianwala Bagh to celebrate the day that Guru Gobind Singh founded the Khalsa Panth in 1699, and also known as the 'Birth of Khalsa.' On hearing that a meeting had assembled, Brigadier-General Reginald Dyer with his army of 150 troops ordered open fire at the crowd. According to British Raj sources, around 379 people were dead and 1500 wounded people were left to die in the well within the garden.
Today, this public garden houses a memorial, which was established in .....
At a distance of 1.5 km from Amritsar Junction, Durgiana Temple is Hindu temple situated near Lohgarh gate of Amritsar, Punjab. It is a Hindu version of the Amritsar Golden Temple and also one of the top pilgrimage places to visit in Amritsar.
Durgiana Temple is dedicated to Goddess Durga. It is also known as Lakshmi Narayan Temple, Durga Tirath and Sitla Mandir. The original temple was built in 16th century and was rebuilt by Guru Harsai Mal Kapoor in the architectural style of the Sikh Golden Temple in 1921 CE. The newly built temple was inaugurated by Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya. The temple is also called the Silver Temple due to its carved silver doors.
The temple stands on middle of the sacred lake known as Durgiana and a bridge connects easily to the temple. The dome of the temple is gilded and marble is extensively used in the temple's features. Its dome and canopies are similar to that of the Golden temple of Amritsar. There is a huge collection of Hindu scriptures .....
Historical & Heritage
At a distance of 1.5 km from Amritsar Junction and 2 km from Harmandir Sahib, Gobindgarh Fort is a historical fort located in the city of Amritsar, Punjab. Initially known as 'Bhangian Da Qila', Gobindgarh Fort is one of the famous places to visit in Amritsar.
Gobindgarh Fort was built by the army of Gujjar Singh Bhangi of Sikh Misls in 1760 CE. This fort was reconstructed by Maharaja Ranjit Singh between 1805 and 1809 CE. The British authorities occupied it in 1849 CE and it was in the army's possession for nearly 150 years. The Darbar Hall, Hawa Mahal and the Phansi Ghar were added to the fort during British rule only. After the Indian Independence, Indian army took control over the fort and was used to provide temporary shelter to a large number of refugees from Pakistan during India-Pakistan partition.
Gobindgarh Fort was constructed with brick and lime on a square pattern with a parameter of 1500 square meter with two strong gates, four large bastions and well-defined .....
Museum & Gallery
At a distance of 1.5 km from Amritsar Junction and 4 km from Amritsar Golden Temple, Maharaja Ranjit Singh Museum is a popular museum situated in the middle of a beautiful Ram Bagh Garden in Amritsar, Punjab. It is one of the best museums in Punjab and also one of the top tourist attractions in Amritsar.
Maharaja Ranjit Singh Museum was originally the summer palace of first king of Sikh Empire, Maharaja Ranjit Singh. Later, it was converted in to museum in 1977 CE. It is a treasure house of the history, art and architecture of the Sikhs of the 18th and the 19th century AD.
The museum offers insights into the life of the Sikh monarch Maharaja Ranjit Singh. The Museum displays objects connecting to Maharaja Ranjit Singh such as arms and armour, outstanding paintings and centuries old coins and manuscripts. The paintings displayed in the galleries of the museum showcase the court and camp of the king. Among all the paintings, one that depicts the city of Lahore is most famous. .....