At a distance of 4 km from Ernakulam Junction (South) Railway Station, the Bolgatty Palace is located on Bolgatty Island near Vallarpadam Island.
The Palace was built in 1744 by the Dutch trader and was later taken over by the British. Today, the palace is a popular hotel run by the Kerala Tourism Development Corporation. The palace is two-storied containing well-decorated bedchambers and a huge lounge, which exhibits historical portraits. The palace can be reached by boat from the mainland Ernakulam.
The Island is also home for a fine golf course amidst backwaters.