St. George Ferona Church - Edappally
At a distance of 7.5 km from Ernakulam Junction (South) Railway Station, St. George Ferona Church situated in Edappally is one of the oldest churches in India. This Roman Catholic Church was built in 594 AD in the land donated by the Raja of Edappally. In 1080, a new church was built adjacent to the old church. The deity is popularly known for his powers to get rid of snakes.
A grand 9 day festival is celebrated here in the month of April / May every year. The church is also popular amongst the non-Christians, who also come here for veneration. At the time of St. George Ferona Church festival, numerous vendors gather to sell wares of different kinds, made mainly out of mud. This festival begins on the 23rd of April in the presence of huge crowd of devotees.