Gurudwara Guru Ka Mahal
At a distance of 1.5 km from Amritsar Junction, Gurudwara Sri Guru Ka Mahal is situated near Golden Temple across the main street known as Guru Bazar in the holy town of Amritsar. It is one of prominent gurudwaras in Amritsar and also one of the popular places to visit in Amritsar.
Gurudwara Guru Ka Mahal was built as a humble hut in 1573 CE by Guru Ram Das Ji, the 4th Sikh Guru. It was the residential house of Sri Guru Ram Das, the founder of Amritsar. Guru Arjan Dev got married as well as appointed as a Guru in this Mahal. Baba Atal Rai and Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur were born at this place and Sri Guru Hargobind Singh was also lived here for some time. Later, it was enlarged and modified by Guru Arjan Dev and his son, Guru Hargobind. Now it has been converted into a gurudwara.
Guru Ka Mahal is famous for the sacred book of the Sikhs, Guru Granth Sahib and is placed on a platform raised on the ground floor inside this three storeyed shrine. The basement has a meditation room where the Sikh gurus used to meditate and compose sacred hymns. Apart from the daily rituals, special divan and Guru Ka Langar are held on the first Sunday of a Bikrami month. The main festival celebrated in this gurudwara is the birth anniversary of Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji who was born here on Baisakhi.
Timings: 5 AM - 10 PM