Tsuk La Khang Monastery
At a distance of 3 km from Gangtok SNT Bus Station, Tsuk La Khang or Tsuglakhang Monastery is a Buddhist palacial monastery located in Gangtok. Also known as Palace Monastery, it is one of the major places of worship in Gangtok and also one of the best places to visit in Gangtok.
Located in the complex of Royal Palace, Tsuk La Khang is the imperial gompa of the erstwhile Royal family of Sikkim. This monastery was probably built in the year 1898 AD during the reign of 9th King Thutob Namgyal. Earlier the monastery was used to be the venue for several occasions such as weddings and coronations of the Sikkim Royalty. Located near the ridge, now this is a principal place of worship and a prime assembly of Buddhists in Gangtok.
The two storey Royal Chapel of the Chogyals was built in traditional Sikkim architectural style with an assembly hall in the center. It has an impressive collection of Buddhist scriptures and literature. The walls and altars of the monastery are lavishly decorated with murals and images of Buddha, Bodhisattva and other tantric deities of Buddhism. There are wooden Snow Lion's Head sculptures at every corner of the monastery.
The monastery also hosts many festivals all throughout the year. The Buddhist festivals like Phang Lhabsol and Losoong (Tibetan New Year) are celebrated here with full gusto and fervor. During these festivals, 'Chaam' (mask dance) is performed by the monks of the monastery. In addition, during the New Year celebration, Black Hat Dance is also performed. This dance depicts the triumph of good forces over the evil forces.
Timings: 7 AM - 5 PM