Chet Singh Ghat
At a distance of 2 km from Dasashwamedh Ghat and 5 km from Varanasi Junction, Chet Singh Ghat is one of the popular ghats in Varanasi situated along the banks of River Ganga. It is relatively less crowded ghat and also one of the cleanest ghats in Varanasi.
Situated between the popular Dasashwamedh & Assi Ghats, the Chet Singh Ghat is a historical fortified Ghat. The name of this ghat is derived from the Palace of Raja Chet Singh which is situated on the banks of Ganges here. This palace was the principal residence of Raja Chet Singh, the illegitimate son of Balwant Singh, the first Maharaja of Banaras. The ghat witnessed a fierce battle between the troops of Warren Hastings and Chet Singh in 1781 CE.
Also known as Khirki Ghat, the ghat is now divided into four parts called as Chet Singh Ghat, Niranjani Ghat, Nirvani Ghat and Shivala Ghat. The ghat houses three Lord Shiva temples belonging to the 18th century AD. Till first half 20th century it was culturally quite important as the famous Budhwa Mangal festival which is celebrated for seven days had been organised here.