Man Mandir Ghat
At a distance of 5 km from Varanasi Junction, Man Mandir Ghat is a ghat on the banks of River Ganga in Varanasi. Situated just to the north of Dasashwamedh Ghat, it is one of the important ghats in Varanasi and also among the popular places to visit in Varanasi.
Earlier known as Someswara Ghat, Man Mandir Ghat was built in 16th century CE by Raja Man Singh of Amer and was renamed after him. He also built a magnificent palace here and is known for its exquisite ornate window carvings. It is now maintained by Archaeological Survey of India. One can get a panoramic view of all the ghats of Varanasi from the terrace of this palace. An observatory, popularly called as Jantar Mantar, is established atop the Man Singh Palace in 1710 CE by Sawai Jai Singh II.
Situated on the western bank of River Ganga, the ghat is dotted with many temples including Rameshwara Temple, Sthuladanta Vinayaka and Someswara temples. Someswara Temple is the exact replica of the Someshwara lingam in Somanath of Gujarat. Many Hindu devotees visit this Ghat to offer prayers to Someshwar.