#9 of 23 Places to Visit in Khajuraho
Distance (From Khajuraho Bus Stand): 3.5 Kms
Trip Duration (Including Travel): 15 Mins or Less
Place Location: In Jatakari Village, Southern Group Of Temples
Transportation Options: Cab / Auto
Travel Tips: None
At a distance of 3.5 km from Khajuraho Bus Stand, Chaturbhuj Temple is a historical temple situated in Jatakari village near Khajuraho. Also known as Jatakari Temple, the temple is counted amongst the Southern Group of Temples in Khajuraho.
Dedicated to Lord Vishnu, the Chaturbhuj Temple was built by the rulers of Chandela dynasty in 1100 AD. The name is so derived from the word 'chaturbhuj', which means 'one with four arms'. This is so with the presiding deity Lord Vishnu who has four arms. Stands lonely and serene on a high platform, this is the only important temple in Khajuraho that faces west.
The temple is popular for its impressive architecture. It has an entrance porch, sanctum without ambulatory, and mandapa. This is the only temple at Khajuraho without any erotic carvings on the walls. This west facing temple stands on a square platform, which can be approached by a staircase of ten steps. The elaborated entrance through the doorway has beautifully carved figures of Brahma, Vishnu and Lord Shiva. The temple houses a richly carved 9 feet tall idol of Lord Vishnu.
The tower of this temple is plain when compared to other temples in the region. Below the tower there are three bands of sculptures with the images of dikhpalas, ashtavasus, nymphs and the recesses of mythical lions. There are images of Ganga can be identified with the presence of Crocodile and Yamuna can be identified with Turtle at the lower part of the doorway.
Complex Timings: 6 AM - 5 PM