Sarasbaug Ganapathi Temple
Nature | Pilgrimage
At a distance of 5 km from Pune Junction and 2 km from Dagdusheth Ganapathi Temple, Sarasbaug Ganapathi Temple is an ancient Hindu temple situated at Sarasbaug near Dinkar Kelkar Museum, Pune. The temple is one of the oldest temples in Pune and also one of the top pilgrimage places in Pune.
The Sarasbaug Temple has a rich historical past and has an identity of its own owing to its unique island position. Soon after completion of Shree Devdeveshwar Temple on Parvati hill in 18th century, Shrimant Nanasaheb Peshwa had decided to construct a lake at the foothills of Parvati as a part of beautification. An island of about 25,000 sq. feet area was retained in the middle of this lake. Later on, a beautiful garden was created on this island. In 1784 AD, Shrimant Sawai Madhavrao Peshwa built a small temple in Sarasbaug and installed the idol of Sri Siddhivinayak Gajanan.
Popularly known as the Talyatla Ganapathi because of its island position in the midst of a lake, Sarasbaug Temple is dedicated lord Ganesh. The presiding deity's idol is small but very beautiful and divine. The original idol was made of kurund stone which cost only 10 anas then. Since then the idol has been changed twice, once in 1882 AD and also in 1990 AD, the later idols were being crafted by Rajasthani artisans. The deity is called as Siddhivinayak because its trunk turns to the right. A small museum was added to the place in the year 1995 AD displays hundreds of idols of Lord Ganesh. The temple is surrounded by water pond from all sides.
The Sarasbaug Ganapathi Temple is run under the auspices of Shree Devdeveshwar Sansthan, Parvati and Kothrud. A sacred ground of faith for millions of devotees in Pune and around the world, on an average the Sarasbaug temple receives ten thousand visitors a day and this figure goes up to eighty thousand devotees per day on Ganesh Chaturthi and other special occasions. A fair also held in the temple premises on the auspicious day of Ganesh Chaturthi.
Timings: 5 AM to 8 PM.