The Tipu's Fort
#22 of 55 Places to Visit in Bangalore
Distance (From Bangalore City Railway Station): 3 Kms
Trip Duration (Including Travel): 1-2 Hours
Place Location: Near City Market
Transportation Options: Cab / Auto / Bus
Travel Tips: Tipu's Summary Palace is less than 0.5 Kms from here and can be visited together
At a distance of 3 Kms from Bangalore City Railway Station, The Tipu's Fort is set in the heart of the Bangalore city opposite to the city market. The fort is originally constructed using mud and brick by Kempe Gowda in 1537 AD. Later an extension was made by Chikkadevaraya Wodeyar of Mysore and again the structure was later demolished and reconstructed by Haider Ali and his son Tipu Sultan in the 18th century.
The fort is a two-storied wooden structure, carved out of teakwood with decorated pillars, concave arches and balconies. Today the fort houses a museum adorned with ancient artifacts from Hyder Ali & Tipu's regime. The fort is noted for its beautifully carved arches in Islamic style and for the well-preserved temple dedicate to Lord Ganesh. Most part of the fort is in ruins.
Timings: 10 AM to 6 PM. Closed on Sundays.