Historical | Pilgrimage
At a distance of 4.5 kms from Nampally Railway Station (200 meters from Charminar), The Mecca Masjid is one of the oldest and biggest mosques in the country and a major heritage site in Hyderabad.
The construction of this mosque was started by Mohammad Quli Qutub Shah in 1617 and completed by Aurangzeb in 1694. The hall of the masjid measuring 67m long, 54m wide and 23m high can accommodate nearly 10000 worshippers at a time. The roof is supported by 15 graceful arches. Inscriptions from the holy Quran have been intricately depicted on many of the arches and doors. It is believed that bricks brought from Mecca were implanted in the walls of the central arch and hence the name Mecca Masjid.
In the courtyard of the mosque, there is a beautiful man-made pond of bluish water, flanked by two stone and slab seats. The masjid also houses many ancient and sacred relics, one of which is the hair of Prophet Mohammed. Towards the southern end of the mosque lie the marble tombs of members of the Asaf Jahi dynasty.