CHAPEL OF ST. CATHERINE - OLD GOA
Historical | Pilgrimage
Distance (From Kadamba Bus Terminus): 9 Kms
Visited From: Basilica of Bom Jesus
Trip Duration (Including Travel): 30 Mins
Place Location: Near Basilica Of Bom Jesus
Transportation Options: Cab / Auto / Rental Bike / Walk/Trek
Phone No: NA
Travel Tips: This place is usually visited from Basilica of Bom Jesus (350 mts). Following places can be visited from here:
Se Cathedral (190 mts), Church of St Francis of Assisi (96 mts) , Church of St Cajetan (650 mts), St. Augustin Tower (650 mts ), Museum Of Christian Art (550 mts) , Church of Our Lady of Rosary (750 mts), Church of the Carmelites (900 mts), Chapel of St. Francis Xavier (1.3 kms), San Pedro Church(1.6 kms), Our Lady of Help Church (1.7 kms), Church of the Cross of Miracles (1.7 kms)
At a distance of 9 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 27 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 23 km from Mapusa, The Chapel of St. Catherine is situated in Old Goa part of North Goa. This place is part of UNESCO World Heritage Site (Churches & Convents of Goa).
The Chapel of St. Catherine is located in the west of St. Francis of Assisi Church and is dedicated to St. Catherine. It was built by Alfanso De Albuquerque in 1510 when he defeated the local Muslim ruler Adil Shah on St. Catherine's Day that is 25th November 1510. In 1534 the chapel was granted cathedral status by Pope Paul III. It was enlarged in 1550 by the Portuguese Governor George Cabral and rebuilt in 1952 using laterite blocks.
The Chapel was built in Renaissance style architecture. The Chapel with a pale yellow exterior is built with laterite stones and plaster with lime mortar and has a tower on either side. The Chapel interior has only one altar which is plain. On one side of the Chapel is a stone inscription in Portuguese. The Chapel has rectangular window panes of the Old Portuguese style dressed in mica shells. As you enter the chapel, you will see a statue of Our Lady. There is also a beautiful altar dedicated to St. Catherine upon which stands another statue of Our Lady of Peity. It houses a beautifully gilded altar, various artworks, paintings depicting the story of St Catherine of Alexandria and an art gallery.
Although the Chapel is not functional now and is rarely open to visitors. This site is protected by the Archeological Survey of India.