Nossa Senhora De Penha De Franca - Betim
Historical | Pilgrimage
At a distance of 5 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 30 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 14 km from Mapusa, Nossa Senhora de Penha de Franca is situated in North Goa. This is one of the most beautiful sites in Goa situated in very scenic location right on the banks of Mandovi River.
Nossa Senhora de Penha de Franca is also known as Our Lady of the Rock of France. The Church gets its name from Saint Nossa Senhora de Penha de Franca, a Spanish saint who is believed to have saved Portuguese sailors from a dangerous situation on their voyage to India.
The church was built in Britona on the banks of the River Mandovi in 1626, dedicated to Nossa Senhora De Penha De Franca. The church was entirely funded by a widow named Ana De Azvado, a Franciscan Tertiary. But the church was collapsed in 1651 and was then rebuilt in 1655. This beautiful church was declared a national monument in 1932.
Our Lady of the Rock of France became famous for the miracles performed for those who made the pilgrimage. The high-vaulted ceiling and simple but beautifully interiors make the church looks amazing. The church lies on a hillock and is distinguished by the upper section of its tower being octagonal in shape.
Timings: 8 AM - 11 PM on all days.