Gurkha Fort - Subathu
At a distance of 46 km from Shimla and 12 km from Kuthar, Gurkha Fort is located on a small hillock with an altitude of 4500 in Subathu, near Kasauli in Solan district of Himachal Pradesh.
The Gurkha Fort is bounded by a dense forest and is connected to Parwanoo by National Highway 22. The Parwanoo town serves as a regimental centre for the Gurkha Rifles and has several buildings reminiscent of the British Era. The Subathu Gurkha Fort is now under the Indian Army's 14 Gurkha training centre. The fort still houses some cannons that are believed to be 181 years old. These cannons because of their historic value are the center of attraction for the visitors.
According to the history, the fort was built in the beginning of 1900 AD by the Gurkha Army Chief Amar Singh Thapa to fight against the British Army. There are various tales linked with this fort like one story states that the Gurkhas captured this fort while it was in the custody of Patiala King.
Subathu is considered as a cantonment area and contains the remains of this fort. A Gurkha Museum is also there which exhibits the sculptures depicting the chivalry and courage of the Gurkha warriors.
Timings: 9 AM to 6 PM