At a distance of 10 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand and 27 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway station, The Chapel of St. Francis Xavier is situated in Old Goa.
The Chapel of St. Xavier belongs to the Doric style architecturally. It is built of laterite blocks plastered with lime mortar. The tiled roof supported by wooden rafters and it is a plain chapel with only one altar. The Chapel was located within the College of St. Paul and was dedicated either to St. Anthony or to St. Jerome. As the Chapel was used by St. Francis Xavier, it was rededicated to him after his canonization in 1622. The original Chapel fell into ruins in 1570 and the present Chapel was rebuilt in 1884.
St. Francis Xavier the patron saint of Goa died in 1552 on his way to China. The body brought in 1554 to Goa and is kept in the Basilica of Bom Jesus. The sacred relic of St. Francis Xavier normally housed in a silver casket in the Bom Jesus church, is brought in a conventional emission by several priests to the Se cathedral every 10 years for philosophizing.
The Feast of St. Francis Xavier is celebrated annually on December 3rd in Goa to the memory of St. Francis Xavier. The feast commemorates the date the saint died and was buried. The feast is celebrated by all Goans throughout the state. Large scale festivities and fun events mark the feast, which is spread over a period of nine days and a wide array of food and drinks are available for people to enjoy. The atmosphere of Goa during the festival is truly dynamic, as thousands of people come together to pay their respects to the saint and enjoy the festivities.
Timings: 6 AM to 6:30 PM.