At a distance of 11 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand and 37 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 13 km from Mapusa, Our Lady of Hope Church is situated in North Goa.
The Church of Lady of Hope is also known as Nossa Senhora da Esperanca Church is located at the foot hills of Candolim and facing the Nerul River. The primitive church was built in 1560 by Fr. Pedro de Belem. Repaired and remodeled in 1661, the Franciscans were not satisfied with the result. The Provincial Antonio de Assumpcao then ordered the old church to be demolished and a new one to be constructed. The new Church was built in 1667 and the entire cost for all this construction was borne by the village community.
The Church is unique and it was built in Mannerist Neo-Roman style. The front piece is topped by pediment. Its large twin towers have special pagoda like roofs. The finials are of spear type. The twin bell towers rise high above the central gable. In 1948 the left side tower of the church collapsed and had to be rebuilt. It is well known for its stained glass work inside.
The main altar of the Church is dedicated to Our Lady of Hope. On the left of the main altar there is the richly carved altar of wood. It has a huge cross with Jesus crucified on it and below are two big statues of Jesus and Mother Mary. The left side altar dedicated to St.Peter whose feast is celebrated on 29th of June. There are three beautiful altars of wood on the sides. The altar dedicated to Our Lady of Assumption was constructed in 1919 and next to it is the still well maintained pulpit used in ancient times by the priest to preach to the people. Just opposite the pulpit is a mini chapel where the Blessed Sacrament is kept.
The feast of the patroness was celebrated in ancient times on the 16th December, later the date of the feast was shifted to the 27th December but from 1997 onwards the feast is celebrated on the 19th December.
Timings: 6 am to 6 pm on all days.