At a distance of 27 km from Panjim Kadamba Bus Stand, 37.4 km from Vasco Da Gama Railway Station and 22 km from Margao Railway Station, Safa Masjid is located in North Goa.
Safa Masjid is situated at Shahpur of Ponda Taluka. Also known as the Shahouri Masjid, the mosque is considered as an important heritage monument of Goa. The Safa Masjid is a very relevant representative of the history and culture of medieval Goa. The Safa Shahouri Masjid, the biggest and most famous of the 27 mosques in Ponda Taluka was built in 1560 by Ibrahim Adilshah of Bijapur. 'Safa' is an Arabic word which means clean, chaste and pure. The mosque bears a resemblance to the word appropriately. The Safa mosque has survived the destruction caused by the Portuguese colonizers as part of the Inquisition process.
The Safa Masjid is thus a fusion of Indo-Islamic style. This is a small single chambered mosque with tiled roof having flight of steps in front. A masonary portico adorns the outer periphery of mosque platform surmounted by finials. The mosque and the tank were formally bordered by a lush garden with many fountains. They were destroyed during the Portuguese rule.
The massive water tank within the mosque premises is another attraction. Featuring small chambers decorated with 'meharab' designs, the tank is located to the south of the prayer hall unlike most mosques where it is located outside the main entrance.
This mosque is a venue of celebration during festivals of Id-Ul-Fitr and Id-Ul-Zuha, by the local Muslim community.